• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby Sparrow (1 Viewer)

idk232

Hey guys.

I'm in a bit of a tight spot here, I would like to get some advice here.
So today my cat has brought a baby sparrow to my door, it didn't have any visible injuries but it was breathing really rapidly and wasn't moving at all, at first I didn't know what to do, I tried to look for the nest nearby but couldn't find any so I went outside and laid him in a bush near a tree, I didn't think it would survive given the condition it was in, but then about 7 hours later my cat brings back the baby sparrow to my door, I have no idea how my cat found it again.. This time I was really worried about the sparrow, it was still breathing rapidly and it wasn't opening it's eyes, so I didn't want to repeat what I did last time and I couldn't just release it in the wild, and I also can't take it to the vet because they don't deal with them. I put him in a shoebox and put some water and since I am in no condition to give him worms or food that is required I just crumbled some cookies and left the leftovers next to it. So the second time she brought him back was 4 hours ago. Now it's 2 AM, I don't know anything about birds and I'm not even sure if it's a baby, it's feathered with only some spots around the neck revealing, and all these 4 hours it's been in the shoebox it didn't even try to eat or drink anything I've put there, it's only been standing in one spot with it's head tucked down, eyes closed and rapid breathing, also it's feathers look ripped or greasy, it also would move it's head in it's feathers and would occassionaly reposition itself, now I have no idea what to do with the sparrow, I've ripped a white t-shirt and put it around him because even though it's summer, it can get pretty cold overnight. I would like some advice on this topic, thanks

Hi idk232

As you give us no idea what country you live in, it's hard to give very clear advice to you.

If the bird is still alive in the morning, try and get it to a wildlife rehabilitator. We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds.

Please let us know how you get on.

Hi idk232

As you give us no idea what country you live in, it's hard to give very clear advice to you.

If the bird is still alive in the morning, try and get it to a wildlife rehabilitator. We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds.

Please let us know how you get on.

Alright, I've updated my profile with my location, will post an update in the morning.

It's 4:50 AM right now, I haven't even gone to sleep at all, I've been checking up on it every hour or so and it's still rapidly breathing, I've no idea what am I supposed to understand from this behavior.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Hope the little guy made it through the night. As Delia said try and find a bird rehab in your area.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back