• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Monster phones", the end for bird apps? (1 Viewer)

Mad_Sunday

Hi,

I've just bought a new phone, its the Samsung Galaxy Mega and it has a 6.3" screen size! This new generation of large screen phones blurs the boundaries between phones and tablet devices to the point there are often referred to as "Phablets" as they can do both jobs. I was thinking about getting a 7" tablet but now there's no point. The screen is slightly narrower and slightly longer than that of my wife's Kindle, but, the surrounding bezel is much smaller, meaning it still fits into pockets providing they are large and loose ones. The battery is also big, and easily lasts a day of almost constant use. Since getting the device I brought the RSPB "Pocket BIRDS of Britain and Europe" in ebook form from the Google play book store. Wow, its like having a full sized field guide in my phone/pocket which I can read just as is and zoom pictures to supersized when needed to check detail etc. I'm now in the process of converting my Collins guide to PDF so I can put that on the phone too. As birding apps were initially created to allow field guide "like" ability on mobile devices, I'm wondering now, as I can actually have the field guide proper on a device, will this see a change to using actual "books" in digital form, rather than an app?

Pete

Here's a review of the phone, (he states its a Quad core device with an Amoled screen, its not, its a dual core with a "normal" LED screen!)........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb5Wp_i8oQo

Oh and in case you think these are expensive, I got a T-Mobile "full monty" 24 month contract deal (500 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited data) and a FREE phone for £27/month from here...... www.buymobilephones.net

Last edited:
As birding apps were initially created to allow field guide "like" ability on mobile devices, I wondering now, as I can actually have the field guide proper on a device, will this see a change to using actually "books" in digital form, rather than an app?

In this country, many birding apps have already been designed to work both in a larger format on tablets as well as traditional mobile phones, and there's no advantage to a digital book that I can see at that point. On the other hand, all the birding apps have a big advantage over digital books in that they can incorporate vocalizations. So I think the answer to your question is no--we won't see a change to using digital books rather than apps. Though I understand Europe seems to be a bit behind the U.S. in developing birding apps at this point; quite odd that there isn't a Collins Bird guide app yet similar to the Sibley guide app in this country.

I'm also not convinced there's going to be a big shift to tablet sized phones. The Samsung Note has been out for awhile in this country, and has not been that popular. Most people seem to want a phone that is pocketable.

Finally, I think paper guides aren't going away any time soon. Still faster to flip through than any app and can run forever without needing a charge.

My two cents,
Jim

In this country, many birding apps have already been designed to work both in a larger format on tablets as well as traditional mobile phones, and there's no advantage to a digital book that I can see at that point. On the other hand, all the birding apps have a big advantage over digital books in that they can incorporate vocalizations. So I think the answer to your question is no--we won't see a change to using digital books rather than apps. Though I understand Europe seems to be a bit behind the U.S. in developing birding apps at this point; quite odd that there isn't a Collins Bird guide app yet similar to the Sibley guide app in this country.

I'm also not convinced there's going to be a big shift to tablet sized phones. The Samsung Note has been out for awhile in this country, and has not been that popular. Most people seem to want a phone that is pocketable.

Finally, I think paper guides aren't going away any time soon. Still faster to flip through than any app and can run forever without needing a charge.

My two cents,
Jim

Europe is miles behind the US! It drives me crazy. I'd always want a paper guide but, in the future, when all groups have apps, I should be able to carry field guides to birds, mammals, butterflies, dragonflies, reptiles and (in my dream world) Orthoptera on my 7 inch tablet, which is about the size and weight of one guide. On an upcoming trip to Canada, I can almost do that.

The future is nearly here!

Hi Jim,

I must admit that the birdsong additions in some apps is handy, but some of the samples are dire! However, there are stand alone apps that do that, and you can of course just go online to check birdsong if you have an internet connection. The main problem, as you've identified, is that here in Europe, the field guide of choice is "Collins", not being able to have it as an app, is I suppose, the main incentive to digitise the hard copy I already own. Long term it will be a nice thing to have both the app, and the book, stored for use, as and when needed. If you already have a tablet and a phone, this device probably won't interest you. If you don't have a tablet already or don't want two devices, its just the thing. I'm now addicted to the larger screen and my old phone (4.3" screen) looked tiny after using the Mega for just a few hours.

Cheers, Pete

btw Samsung aren't alone in the big phone "Phablet" market, Sony are releasing the Xperia Z ultra with a 6.4" display.

Last edited:
I haven't seen one of these phones, I wonder how it compares to the note? Sounds like a good deal, a friend has the samsung galaxy s3 for not much less than that.

The likelihood is that e-books and apps will merge with the addition of vocalizations and video to digital field guides. A decent 'phablet' that would hold a shedload of guides, allow field notes and sketches like a 'proper' notebook (and the ability to read my writing ), is waterproof and with 48hrs battery life? That would be perfect :t:

Chris

..... It'd be nice to have a micro USB port so you could carry your individual guides on memory sticks.

C

..... It'd be nice to have a micro USB port so you could carry your individual guides on memory sticks.

C

Better: have them stored on something like dropbox, where you can make the choice of which of them to have available offline and which you need to be online to use (the UK ones when in that country, the transatlantic ones when that would be relevant, etc.

All assuming that storage capacity is a problem, something that I am not convinced it will be.

Niels

The likelihood is that e-books and apps will merge with the addition of vocalizations and video to digital field guides. A decent 'phablet' that would hold a shedload of guides, allow field notes and sketches like a 'proper' notebook (and the ability to read my writing ), is waterproof and with 48hrs battery life? That would be perfect :t:

Chris

C

Battery life is much improved compared to all the other "smart phones" I've had, for two reasons really. Firstly although it has a huge power hungry display, for the majority of time that's not on, and the workings of the device are no more power hungry than any other similar, but smaller devices (same processor, ram, radio systems etc) and secondly due to the overall size of the unit, there's plenty of spare space to accommodate the massive 3200mA battery. I also carry a spare battery (less than £10 on ebay) if I'm heading for long trips/remote areas, which removes the worry of ever running out of power.

With regard to USB connectivity, it has one micro USB OTG (on the go) socket. This is a two way multi function system, so it can connect to a PC as a normal external storage device, OR it can have a USB device (memory sick, keyboard, mouse etc) connected to it. It also provides connection for HDMI TV output and the usual charging function.

The unusual addition of an infra red transmitter (plenty of room to fill?) means it also doubles as a remote control for other devices (I have mine set to control my Toshiba TV and Sky Plus box). This looks handy for remote control of my Camera too using this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wegroo.ircamshooter&hl=en

The Sony Xperia Ultra is a waterproof device, so it seems you're dream device is almost here.

Pete

UK mega review here ........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN5IGUrflGQ

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back