• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swan Goose/Greylag Goose Hybrid? - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
Just to confirm that this is what I've been told that it is. It's been at my local Reservoirs for years, but this is the first time that I've actually seen it, and I've been going over there for more than 30 years|=)|

Thanks

Attachments

• P1190916RGpf.JPG
    P1190916RGpf.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 142
  • P1190966RGpf.JPG
    P1190966RGpf.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 102
That's why we didn't tell you! :-O But whatever it is, it appears to have a liking for Madras Curry!

Joking apart, it looks like a slightly faintly marked Swan Goose, to me.

Last edited:
I'd say that the Swan Goose x Greylag suggestion is likely to be correct - although it is probably mainly 'Swan Goose' (perhaps domestic Swan Goose crossed with domestic Swan Goose x Greylag hybrid).

Thanks for replying, Si, Roy.

It's very close to being a Swan Goose, isn't it? It's just the bill colour that's wrong. I looked at a few images of proper Swan Geese, and the posture etc looked the same too.

Oh, it's also really noisy when it "honks"; a bit like a foghorn|=)|

All-white versions of the Chinese Swan Goose can have orange bills, so maybe that's where the mottlling of your bird's bill comes from, not from Graylag ancestry?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/3294468904/in/set-72157607703835448/
Structurally it's not right for a "pure bred" Chinese (Swan) Goose though.
African Goose is another domestic breed of Swan Goose that might explain the heavy set appearance though, and they also come in a white form I believe - so, yes, there is a chance that it might not have any Greylag ancestry!

Thanks for the extra info, fugl, Roy.

AFAIK; it's a presumed escapee that's been at these Reservoirs for about 10 years. So it won't be anything "interesting", except to me|=)| No rings/tags visible, so I'd guess that might be one of the reasons most have assumed it's a hybrid, as well as the bill colour?

Whatever it is, it's well at home amongst the Greylags and Canadas; if I see it again I'll see if I can hand feed it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back