• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Annotating photos (1 Viewer)

There is more than adding text in the linked-to image, there is also copying parts of other photos and superimposing them in the existing photo. For that you need a photo editor and not a development program, so probably a photoshop, photo-editor, gimp, or similar program is needed. I doubt LR can do it.

Niels

Thanks for the replies on this.

Following Robin's idea to use PowerPoint I did a bit of investigating and found that this is a good way to go, if a bit fiddly:

Insert picture into powerpoint
Insert text box and type in the text
Insert Shape and select arrow. The arrow I selected was coloured blue (I wanted black) so I then had to use the format menu to change the color of the arrow.

Then I saved the image as a jpeg, and because it was not the exact dimensions of the PowerPoint slide I has to crop it in LightRoom.

A bit long-winded but it worked (see attached).

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• Slide1-3.jpg
    Slide1-3.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
My problem with the ppt way is that it often seems to save in 72 pixels per inch and that one might loose resolution for that reason. Fine if the intended output is screen or web, less so if one intends printing afterwards. (or maybe I just have not tried hard enough)

Niels

My problem with the ppt way is that it often seems to save in 72 pixels per inch and that one might loose resolution for that reason. Fine if the intended output is screen or web, less so if one intends printing afterwards. (or maybe I just have not tried hard enough)

Niels

Hi Niels,

I am only planning on using this for my blog, so I think it will be OK for me.

Note that the text in the image I attached was a big fuzzy as I had to keep the size down to attach in the BF post (the full size version has better resolution).

Best wishes,

Dave

This sounds like such a cool idea for my bird database that I might try it too.
It's certainly not a job for Lightroom, but any art program could do it including PS.

I quite like the idea of using PowerPoint, though, as it is easy, familiar software and will allow easy future editing so I had a quick check and found you can set the DPI in PPT higher following these instructions.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827745

I don't see Dave's method as long winded, it needs to be like that for a job like this (except the final crop, that is).

By the way, on a tangential but related note, I've been enjoying the book Natural Designs by Gloria Hopkins, which has some interesting Composition Maps in it, with useful info placed over a photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back