• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Feeder Experience (1 Viewer)

llewey

So I've been looking at several local glass hummingbird feeders to purchase for my mother as a birthday/Easter present (her birthday is two days after this year), and I was wondering if anyone had experience with these cute feeders on stakes? They would look great in my mom's garden, but I've never had feeders on stakes before for hummers.

Attachments

• glass-hummingbird-feeder-stakes-colors.jpg
    glass-hummingbird-feeder-stakes-colors.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 2,051
feeders on stakes

No I have not had experience with this type of feeder. I can point out some general pluses and minuses. They are obviously lovely.That is a wonderful plus. I believe that they would be used by hummingbirds as long as the yard is free from predators such as cats.If there are cats or other predators, a feeder that is hung would be a better choice.Hummingbird feeders need to be cleaned regularly. Since, I have never used the stake type , I cannot answer whether or not they would be easy to clean. A hummingbird feeder is a wonderful Easter gift. Did you know that hummingbirds can go into a semi-hibernation state called Torpor. This enables the hummingbirds to survive a cold snap. In some cultures, it was believed that the hummingbird died and came back to life. For this reason , the hummingbird is associated with the resurrection. Also, hummingbirds are considered a symbol of love. Here is an article all about choices of hummingbird feeders. http://www.hummingbird-guide.com/hummingbird-feeders.html

I saw some similar ones at a store that were hanging.
I checked to see if the syrup holder was deep or shallow. With a deep one the hummingbirds surely can't get their tongues down that far, can they? The ones I saw were plastic and did have a shallow dish. I think there'd be a lot of wasted syrup if the feeder is too deep. It's different from the other, syrup up flowers down style, as gravity keeps the syrup down.

Cute but maybe not the best. I wouldn't buy one myself.

I have a couple of duds myself. One a large orange glass globe with fluted glass flowers hummingbirds simply avoided and another with feeder tubes that are held by a rubber stopper that leaks at the flowers. tsk tsk. Not every one sold is a great one. They did light up nicely at xmas out in the patio with the lights inside tho.

My perspective is utilitarian. I'm a hummingbird photographer, and I love hummingbirds. So, first things first:

Hummingbird health. The most important thing is to clean the feeder frequently and thoroughly. The mold that grows in nectar is toxic to hummers, and hummers will learn not to come to a contaminated feeder. So for the birds health, and for their nutrition, you must clean them thoroughly as frequently as every 2 days when it is hot, and every 3 when it is warm. The kind of feeder you show is quite difficult to quickly clean on the inside.

That kind of feeder does not have an ant moat, and that can be a problem.

They are ornamental, but even the prettiest feeder is still ugly compared to the hummingbird itself. If you are interested in photographing the bird, a saucer style feeder with built in ant moat, and needing no bee guards is excellent. I recommend cutting off the perch, so that you can photograph the bird while the hummingbird is hovering a few inches away, as they typically do between sips.

Here is a photo of such a saucer feeder, where the violet crowned hummingbird is NOT in posed hover position, but sipping. I cover all but one of the feeder ports, so that it will be easier to get a shot from the angle I want, without the feeder in the shot. See the link below
http://www.gregscott.com/post/20100419_0738_100_0750_gjs.jpg

More trouble to maintain is an inverted bottle style feeder. This needs a secondary ant moat, and forget the bee guard, the yellow actually attracts bees and wasps, and the bee guard grate holds nectar drips which makes it easier for the bees to find the nectar. It needs bottle brushes and tiny brushes to clean the tube.

All feeders should be hung high, or cats WILL learn to eat your birds.

Visit my 2 hummingbird galleries to see 80+ high resolution hummingbird photos.
http://gregscott.artistwebsites.com

Attachments

• 20100419_0738_100_0750_gjs.jpg
    20100419_0738_100_0750_gjs.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
I have had several of the Parasol brand feeders you are inquiring about. They are very easy to clean with the use 100% white vinegar solution and some rice. The problem with these feeders are that the feeding tube allows bees and other sting insect access to the nectar. Also, my gardener has on occassion knocked them down and if not over a grassy area will shatter and splinter into very sharp pieces as they are not made of safety glass.

My best feeder

I like this feeder purchased a few months ago at Lowes for about $12. Benefits are large capacity glass (abt 3 cups), easy to clean base as bottom can be separated, when necessary, perches are part of the flower, it's "photogenic" for both perched deep plungers and hovering tip sippers. Oh, and it has a built-in ant moat which I haven't needed to use yet. Another benefit I suppose is that the birds can empty it completely. I've learned to tell when it's low by how deep they have to insert their "dip sticks" to get the last few drops.

I have not yet needed to use the bottle brush I have for it (actually one on a long skinny cable designed to go down bathroom sink drains) because I'm constantly rinsing and refilling it. Almost all Spring I've been mobbed by what I thought were migrating hummers. Close to 30lbs of C&H has been used at the usual 1:4 ratio. I'm filling this and my small one cup feeder three times a day ... with no end in sight! About a gallon a day.

Attached are some shots of the new feeder and one of me and the old.

I'm certain now these chubby moochers are somehow online "Tweeting" to let their family and all friends know my location! Last year I had a two main migration waves. This year the first wave was impressive (I had to buy the big new feeder) and then for about a week and a half lull. The second wave hasn't seemed to stop as they keep coming and coming and I dunno If or When they're gonna leave.

Hopefully not too soon as I just got a new 3D shooting camera (HD video and stills Panasonic 3D1) to go along with my new 42" 3D LCD Viera TV. My first try shooting HD video brought impressive results with the birds actually popping out of the screen and flitting about my living room. It was so realistic I caught myself hesitating to reach for the remote for fear of scaring them! Had to chuckle over that when I realized it was happening!

Mark

Attachments

• Fem mob at feeder 90254 1280p.jpg
    Fem mob at feeder 90254 1280p.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Feeding Frenzy 90945 1280p.jpg
    Feeding Frenzy 90945 1280p.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Feeders n Chimes 00111 1280p v2.jpg
    Feeders n Chimes 00111 1280p v2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Fem waiting for a finger 40135 1280p.jpg
    Fem waiting for a finger 40135 1280p.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back