• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canada-black-throated green warbler? (1 Viewer)

dasboot

can anyone confirm if this is the green warbler and if it's male or female (pics taken today)

thanks again

Attachments

• Picture 031a.JPG
    Picture 031a.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Picture 035a.JPG
    Picture 035a.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Picture 044a.JPG
    Picture 044a.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 133
It's a Black-throated Green Warbler alright, but I'm not sure about the age/sex (it's not a species I'm terribly familiar with, having glimpsed my first one last month on a visit to Minnesota).

Edit: Das Boot-a good movie!

The worn primaries and tail with pointed tips + the moult contrast in the greater coverts, adult looking inners - a few worn brownish inners.
Looks perhaps good for a female BTG. Note the yellow vent spot - spot on for BTG.

JanJ

Thanks guys. Unfortunately (or fortunately for me) this little bird flew into one of my windows and was banged up pretty hard. I took her off the floor and onto my deck where it wouldn't get eaten by snakes or racoons. I took a couple of "posed" pictures and it did fly off eventually.

Hello dasboot,

I agree with the warbler ID. Also, I volunteer at a local college near my home (Muhlenberg college) here in Pennsylvania doing inventory of their bird collection of over 2000 specimens from all over the world. The Ornithology Center is also doing a study on what you have here, window strikes by birds. I think that they would be appreciative if you would kindly report the incident to them. I will give you a link to both the ornithology center home page and also an online form.

Form: http://www.muhlenberg.edu/depts/biology/faculty/klem/ACO/bird_kill_form.html

Home page: http://www.muhlenberg.edu/depts/biology/faculty/klem/ACO/aco.htm

-Matt

P.S. sorry everyone if a PM was more appropriate

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back