• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starling problems...anyone? (1 Viewer)

Metermaid

Are starlings a real problem when they visit your feeders? At our last house we didn't ever see Starlings in the garden but my Father-in-law in Gloucester has terrible problems with them. They arrive in such large numbers that he now doesn't put food out as no other birds ever visit. So...on moving house and getting lots of species visiting I was a bit disconcerted to see quite large flocks of Starlings around and yesterday they found my feeders. So should I panic ?

No you shouldn't panic - as Starling numbers are going down you should feed them as well.

Starlings aren't a 'problem' - our attitude to them may be!

I have only recently started feeding in my garden. First the sparrows came in numbers atracted to a seed feeder. Then I put out an RSPB seed cake and it was devoured the same day by a flock of starlings. I am making my own cakes now, just because of the cost and I am trying to lure the starlings to another part of the garden to give other birds a chance. It does seeem to me that the presence of birds attracts others for example I have a virtually unused bird bath, yesterday a robin had a little splash in it he was chased off by a starling who had a big splash and as soon as he left a blue tit jumped in. Since then nothing, back to normal. I am just a bit worried by the quantity of starlings as they make a lot of noise, a lot of mess and it has become a daily chore to keep them supplied with cakes and it is only october. Still they are a joy to watch.

I do take your point Adey - you can't pick and choose which birds to feed (and I really like Starlings)....I just don't want ONLY Starlings !!!

This is not a problem, simply offer a variety of feeders - Starlings might dominate the cake and food left on the ground, but hanging feeders are more difficult for them, allowing others to feed too. If they have got the hang, so to speak, of the hanging feeders, put those with a cage round them to stop bigger birds. Starlings are, however, the most charasmatic of visitors and I'd be more than happy to have a few, or lot, here (summer visitor only sadly).

The starlings at my previous abode certainly got the hang of feeders. In fact they got the hang of anything and everything, even squeezing into the small cage that contained mealworms at one point. They were most amusing though to watch, especially when the juveniles came along. I used to feed them all.

I don't have any starlings where I am now, and to be honest, I can't say I'm disappointed either. Having said that, if they did appear, I would carry on feeding.

Metermaid said:
I do take your point Adey - you can't pick and choose which birds to feed (and I really like Starlings)....I just don't want ONLY Starlings !!!

They do tend to come and 'clean up' and then leave again just as quickly so putting out some smaller seeds after they've eaten the larger stuff may do the trick and keep 'em all happy!

My flock hasn't reappeared yet, just a lone one on the bird table the past couple of days. No doubt they will come in their droves shortly. I shall be glad in a way though because I don't seem to have any ground feeders here at the moment, and am having to throw away lots of seed as it's getting soaked with this bad weather. Last winter, they were chomping their way through anything and everything, particularly a 25 kilo sack of layers pellets was going every fortnight, and I only have two chickens!

they dont tend to be a problem around gateshead, although i remember every winter in newcastle city centre - thousands! - pooping on everyone!. i think the council got around the problem somehow, as there is barely a decent sized flock anywhere in the city thesedays. as for my garden (1 mile from city) i hardly get any!. they are around as i see them on chimneys etc, but for some reason they usually stick to small flocks (less than 100 birds) and are found feeding on the local football/playing fields.

I buy large fat balls from the local pet shop. All the birds love these and after the starlings have had their fill and moved on there is loads left for the other birds.
The starlings never touch the feeders while these are out.
I put bread out to occupy them as well.

Chris.

pushy-boisterous, luv em or loath em, they need our help. But don't forget they help to keep our lawns healthy, looking for leatherjackets which they love, they give the lawn a good airing by pushing open their beaks as they push into the soil, and they are the only garden bird that can do this. So please help. I know they eat everthing in sight, and en mass, but i find in time the other birds just get on with their own feeding, now at bathing time its the sparrows & finches that push the starlings to the back of the queue, its fun to watch, and just adds to the fun of garden watching.
bert.

I have countless Starlings around at the moment! They devour all fat balls and homemade suet cakes around VERY fast! There are more around than usual because of the birds from the continent. They do scare off other birds and hog the food, but as other people have said, they really do need help.

Other birds still get their fair share here, we just have to accept that Starlings are greedy!

tp20uk said:
Other birds still get their fair share here, we just have to accept that Starlings are greedy!
I don't think birds are "greedy", surely they have no concept of being greedy? Starlings probably give a good impression of it, because of the way they eat, food all over the place, very messy, etc.

Yeah well thats what I mean. Though I have read in Field guides that Starlings are greedy and deprives more "deserving" birds from feeding and shouldn't be fed as much as they are. That is definitely wrong!

helenol said:
The starlings at my previous abode certainly got the hang of feeders. .

I have a large flock of Starlings locally that frequently land in the Cherry and Elder trees in my garden but they NEVER show any interest in the seed feeders. I wonder why.

Steve

Hi Steve, I don't know, I suppose each to their own, and all that. Strange as I also had cherry and elder trees in my previous garden and they never showed any interest in them. Maybe the Bucks starlings were a little more cunning than the Bristol ones ;)

helenol said:
Hi Steve, I don't know, I suppose each to their own, and all that. Strange as I also had cherry and elder trees in my previous garden and they never showed any interest in them. Maybe the Bucks starlings were a little more cunning than the Bristol ones ;)

You maybe right Helen! Funny thing is the Starlings always used to dominate the peanut feeders so nothing else could get a look in. One of the reasons why I stopped using them. Now they decimate all the berries so that there is none left for any wintering Thrushes.
:C

Steve

Umm....looks like they definitely fall into the 'love 'em or loathe 'em' category ! thanks for all the replies - I will see how things develop (having said that the flock hasn't returned as yet), maybe if they do they will eat the fat mix in the coconut shells I filled as nothing else seems to !! I could also do with something that ate up all the wet seed that lies around after all the rain.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back