• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Along the Windrush and into the Lake (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Part Three of a Weekend of Delights...

Lush, luxuriant, ranunculus-strewn wet meadows thick with wildflower: marshmallows, umbelliferers, meadowsweet and orchids: spotted, perhaps.

Each step brings a cloud of Common blue damselflies, rising and neon, gliding gently away. Demoiselles - banded and beautiful - flicker in sun and shade amongst the sedges and rushes, searching for mates.

Hobbies scythe the sky, catching Four-spotted chasers, Broad-bodied chasers and damsels. Yellow flag outshine the buttercups. Sedge warbers sing. Great crested grebes dive in trout lakes: tempting trout lakes.

Acres of meadow and not a soul. Mute swans hiss my intrusion. I slip, naked, into the pool, cool and clear, and swim with a grin. Hobbies skim insects above me, Tufted ducks fly from me, damsels glide in front of my face. Cool water caresses.

A Marsh tit! There and gone, called once and slipped into thick cover: never to show again.

And so back home. A ton on the Fosse Way: naughty but nice, and my long weekend ended.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back