• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Ring to Far (1 Viewer)

Malky

The answer to your question is 'probably not' as they're a dutch group ringing wintering birds. Many many projects on closely related birds, however, do monitor breeding success, of colour-ringed and sometimes radio/satellite tagged birds (Pectoral Sandpiper etc). If colour-rings were seen to be affecting breeding in those species, believe me alarm bells would be raised for close relatives.

Glad to see so much sense being spoken elsewhere in this thread, in ways far more eloquent than I could have managed. This kind of research is vital, and I agree people who are against ringing should be happy to see fewer birds raising greater datasets through satellite tracking etc. (and should also ask themselves why bother to post without researching their argument in a specific-for-ringing forum!)

I read 7 colour ring permutations on waders at Snettisham rspb reserve earlier this autumn. As an example of the sort of information that can be collected on longevity and movements through these kind of projects, here's a brief summary of what is now known about the 2 Black-tailed Godwits in the attached photographs:

My sightings were all at Snettisham, the Wash estuary, Norfolk, E England 22 August 2013.

BW1 - 8 sightings:
Ringed: Holbeach, the Wash estuary, Lincolnshire, E England 9 September 2002
Subsequently sighted at Boyne estuary, Co. Meath, E Ireland; Isle of Skye, Argyll, W Scotland; Humber estuary, Lincolnshire, E England;
Leighton Moss, Lancashire, NW England

BW4 - 53 sightings:
Ringed: Terrington, the Wash estuary, Norfolk, E England 8 August 1998
Subsequently sighted at Swavesey, Cambridgeshire, E England; Höfn, A-Skaftafellssýsla, E Iceland; Egilsstaðir, N-Múlasýsla, E Iceland; Fen Drayton, Cambridgeshire, E England; Álftafjörður, E Iceland; Ouderkerk aan de Amstel, Noord Holland, W Netherlands; Orwell estuary, Suffolk, E England; Stour estuary, Essex, E England; Saltholme, Cleveland, NE England

Additionally, a colour-ringed Dunlin at the same site that day had been ringed 1,348km away in NW Spain on 3 May 2013.

Attachments

• BW1.jpg
    BW1.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 66
  • BW4.jpg
    BW4.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
And here's a Black-tailed Godwit with a wealth of information:

Thank you for the sighting. this bird was ringed as chick in 1999, by Tómas Gunnarsson. Topline is the ringing information.

Thanks again

Böðvar

YO-YR 10.07.99 Mosfell, Árnessýsla, S Iceland
YO-YR 25.11.99 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 31.11.99 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 10.01.00 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 23.01.00 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 27.09.00 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 05.10.00 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 19.09.01 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 04.10.01 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 08.10.01 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 09.10.01 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 19.10.01 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 21.10.01 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 05.11.01 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 20.11.01 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 01.12.01 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 15.07.02 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 03.08.02 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 05.08.02 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 05.09.02 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 06.09.02 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 08.09.02 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 05.10.02 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 20.11.02 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 24.03.03 Ouderkerk, Noord Holland, W Netherlands
YO-YR 25.03.03 Ouderkerk, Noord Holland, W Netherlands
YO-YR 07.04.03 Ouderkerk, Noord Holland, W Netherlands
YO-YR 17.04.03 Ouderkerk, Noord Holland, W Netherlands
YO-YR 07.08.03 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 08.08.03 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 27.08.03 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 17.10.03 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 24.10.03 Clonakilty, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 19.04.04 Loch Beg, Londonderry, N Ireland
YO-YR 16.03.05 Ouderkerk, Noord Holland, W Netherlands
YO-YR 12.03.06 Ouderkerk, Noord Holland, W Netherlands
YO-YR 19.10.06 Cork Harbour, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 18.02.07 Sado Estuary, W Portugal
YO-YR 08.11.09 Glounthaune, Cork Harbour, Co. Cork, S Ireland
YO-YR 13.02.11 Ze do Pinho, Porto, Tejo (Tagus), W Portugal
YO-YR 20.03.11 Neerijnen, Het Broek, Gelderland, C Netherlands
YO-YR 05.08.11 Snettisham, the Wash estuary, Norfolk, E England
YO-YR 27.09.13 Bowling green Marsh RSPB reserve, Topsham, Exeter, Devon, SW England

I often see colour-ringed BTG's at BGM this is the best history so far.

I have posted an observation of a red listed bird with rings without getting any answer ...

There are many references to how one can get information on colour-ringed birds, right here on this forum. In addition, careful googling will lead you to the correct site.

Having said that, some agencies are overloaded with a backlog of sightings and controls, and you may have to wait. I have been waiting for info on my one and only garden control of a foreign ring for nearly 2 years.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back