• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying the camera (1 Viewer)

Duck_Pond

Professional Wildlife Photographer And Guide
Scotland
Not sure if this is the correct section for this question, but hoping someone can help.

For the last 18 months, I have been out and about at every given opportunity, with the camera (350D / 40D + 100-400mm) hung around my neck, walking around loads to take pics of birds and wildlife.

Recently I have noticed that where the camera bounces off of my stomach, the area of skin / muscle underneath has become very painful and sensitive, so in the last fortnight I have made a conscious effort to hold the camera away from me as I walk along, so it doesn't prod me.

So, how do the rest of you carry the camera around, so it's rapidly available for a shot, i.e. not bagged, but not bouncing around and being a pain in the gut.

I've tried it hung from my shoulder, but it slides off, and that's concerning given the price of it!

Any ideas?

I use a Think Tank Digital Holster 20. It's big enough to accommodate my camera with the zoom and lens hood attached and, although I use it slung over my shoulder, it can be mounted on a belt. I just drop the camera in and flip the lid over without zipping it up, which means that I can get it out in a couple of seconds.

It's slightly slower than having it just slung round my neck but it's much less annoying and after a while I don't even notice it's there. It also protects the gear from dust, rain and nasties like brambles and barbed wire.

Ron

I use a Think Tank Digital Holster 20. It's big enough to accommodate my camera with the zoom and lens hood attached and, although I use it slung over my shoulder, it can be mounted on a belt. I just drop the camera in and flip the lid over without zipping it up, which means that I can get it out in a couple of seconds.

It's slightly slower than having it just slung round my neck but it's much less annoying and after a while I don't even notice it's there. It also protects the gear from dust, rain and nasties like brambles and barbed wire.

Ron

This sounds like the way to go.

Hi all

The above looks good but I do not think it will allow my Sigma 175 - 500 lens?

I struggle with the problem of carrying bins, scope and camera so always looking for answers!

Does anyone know of a similar product for larger lenses?

I have a Tamrac 700 backpack but find it too large in the field.

Cheers

Cheers Ron - definitely an option.

I'm also considering hanging a cushioned pad around my neck, that basically stops the camera from hitting me. That said, I've not tried shortening the straps yet! :-O

Hmm...

when carrying my 40D and 400 f5.6 I put it over my head and then put one arm though it so it rests on one shoulder and hangs down on the opposite side (I hope that makes sense). I have the strap quite long so it sit nicely under my arm and can easily be swung round when I want to get a shot.

Cheers Pete - I think that's how I'm going to have to arrange it. I'll be on here again in 9 months complaining of a sore hip ;)

At present am using a tamrac 7x when out and about but at times i find myself taking the bag to hold all my lenses then leaving the bag and walking holding the camera.

Cannon 400D
100-400 L lens

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back