• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AF-ON for shutter (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hi & firstly I apologise If this has been asked before, I cant seem to find It. Can someone explain to me how I change the shutter action from the shutter button to the AF-ON for my 40D & what benefits I will get from changing, also In the menu on the 40D I notice you can change the Sharpness, colour, saturation etc for whatever mode you use (i.e standard, portrait, landscape). Would It be beneficial for me to alter these settings & move the sharpness bar to the max & leave the others In the middle...

Thanks guys.
Sean..

Apart from the AF on button(which i`m not sure about)if your shooting in Raw then settings like saturation are irrelevant because you can alter these in the conversion stage.

Steve.

the max is way to strong imo 2 up is about right for jpeg sharpness and plus 1 for satuation .
Rob.

Hi & firstly I apologise If this has been asked before, I cant seem to find It. Can someone explain to me how I change the shutter action from the shutter button to the AF-ON for my 40D & what benefits I will get from changing,

Thanks guys.
Sean..
Not sure what you mean by taking the shutter action from the shutter button but a lot of people (including me) take the AF operation away from the shutter button, see Page 160 of the manual - C.Fn IV -1. I use option 2, this takes AF away from the shutter button and on to the AF-ON button. I Dont think I could ever get used to using the shutter button to focus with again after using the AF-ON button for over a year.

p.s. I do not think that you can use the AF-ON button to fire the shutter nor can I see a reason for doing it.

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for your help. Roy, I see what you mean, without having to alter anything on the camera, I can focus by using the AF-ON button.. GYRob, so If I just alter the sharpness up by 2 & saturation up by 1 & leave the rest, that should be ok..

Thanks.
Sean..

...also In the menu on the 40D I notice you can change the Sharpness, colour, saturation etc for whatever mode you use (i.e standard, portrait, landscape). Would It be beneficial for me to alter these settings & move the sharpness bar to the max & leave the others In the middle...

I agree with others that having the sharpening turned up to high is a mistake, if you put it on max the images would look horrible. Personally I used to set my sharpening to +2 on the 40D as this gave a nice natural sharpeness and makes reviewing images easy, as I was shooting RAW I could turn the sharpening off when processing. Have a play with a RAW image in DPP, you can adjust these setting and see what the images look like, it will show you just how severe the sharpening can be.

The amount of sharpening that is optimal is different for each image based on the level of detail on the subject, the noise level, the cropping and size of the final image, etc. Since in camera sharpening is a "destructive" process, if you are shooting JPEGs, you want to use a reasonably minimal amount of sharpening in camera and add more sharpening as necessary during post processing.

Personally I shoot more in the neutral mode. It preserves detail much better, however you'll need to post process the images to you're liking. Most of my images end up in the bin anyway. :-O

hi, I am going to try the sharpening +2 but leave the others in the middle. I always do a bit of sharpening if needed in PS.

Thanks. guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back