• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Champagne & Strawberries: Hampstead Heath (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Picnic basket in the boot, sun shining on the convertible and Rabindranath Tagore's London home, nestled in the crease of the heath, just beyond the wood, we strolled up onto Hampstead Heath, my daughter and I.

Though an occluded front threatened to dampen us, the sun shone for the most part. Green woodpeckers yaffled and landed near us, lemon rumped, to vacuum the red ants. Emperor dragonflies helicoptered around us and a Common tern came and went from the swimming ponds near Keat's house: perhaps our picnic was on the spot where the two poets met on the heath some century since.

The champagne cork blasted off into the blue where Swifts arced. Ring-necked parakeets squawked and Whitethroats protested the Sunday strollers. Blackcaps and Song thrushes sang and Great spotted woodpeckers alarmed a Sparrowhawk's passing. A Kestrel hovered.

Sophia, with her model good looks arrived, pretty on her bicycle, bringing strawberries to the feast. Suddenly a Hobby, carrying a Swift, came past us, close across the hump of the hill. A Kingfisher called from the ponds.

A myriad of grass heads nodded and champagne bubbles fizzed and the hum of the bumblebee became the hum of the city.

Picnic basket in the boot, sun shining on the convertible and Rabindranath Tagore's London home, nestled in the crease of the heath, just beyond the wood, we strolled up onto Hampstead Heath, my daughter and I.

Though an occluded front threatened to dampen us, the sun shone for the most part. Green woodpeckers yaffled and landed near us, lemon rumped, to vacuum the red ants. Emperor dragonflies helicoptered around us and a Common tern came and went from the swimming ponds near Keat's house: perhaps our picnic was on the spot where the two poets met on the heath some century since.

The champagne cork blasted off into the blue where Swifts arced. Ring-necked parakeets squawked and Whitethroats protested the Sunday strollers. Blackcaps and Song thrushes sang and Great spotted woodpeckers alarmed a Sparrowhawk's passing. A Kestrel hovered.

Sophia, with her model good looks arrived, pretty on her bicycle, bringing strawberries to the feast. Suddenly a Hobby, carrying a Swift, came past us, close across the hump of the hill. A Kingfisher called from the ponds.

A myriad of grass heads nodded and champagne bubbles fizzed and the hum of the bumblebee became the hum of the city.

Pleased you had a good day. This is my patch when I'm in London (currently at uni in Durham) so very pleased to hear the Hobbies are back as they did breed a few years back but have been scarcer in recent years.

Strawberries and champagne - a true celebratory picnic in the best bit of London.

This really got me re-visiting memories of 40 years back when I lived there (not in the Vale of Health, nor Keats Grove... hmmm... the houses there were around £1m even in those days :eeek!:

I wasn't a birdwatcher then, but I know there weren't any parakeets around, and I've still never seen one !

You had a lovely time by the sound of it H and I'm so pleased to hear that.

This really got me re-visiting memories of 40 years back when I lived there (not in the Vale of Health, nor Keats Grove... hmmm... the houses there were around £1m even in those days :eeek!:

I wasn't a birdwatcher then, but I know there weren't any parakeets around, and I've still never seen one !

Even more parakeets at nearby Kenwood House, Delia, one of the commoner birds of the common.

Ah! Kenwood House. Used to wander up there for the outdoor concerts of an evening.

A wonderful setting with the lake in front and the music bouncing off the water. I wonder if they still do them?

I do wish I'd discovered birds in those days - I just had a general interest in all things nature. I'd spend ages looking at the ducks on Hampstead Ponds, but looking back I think they were probably plastic ones. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back