• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (11 Viewers)

Three potential lifers on the east coast Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, Syke's Warbler and Collared Fly. I doubt I could convincingly identify any of them. Give me a big heron otherwise I'm condemned to lbj's

Right then all you photographers, I would like to pick your brains for a little advice. After seeing some of the fantastic digiscoped images on this thread and various other places I have decided to take a tentative step into the world of photography. I have bought a shiny new scope today (Opticron ES80 GA ED with 20-60 HDF eyepiece) but dont have a clue what bits and bats I need to have a reasonable crack at digiscoping. A camera would be a start I reckon. Would anyone be able to recommend a camera/adapter combination which may work well with my scope? If not, what sort of things do I need to be looking for to identify a suitable digiscoping camera? (lens/zoom etc?)

My top budget would be £200 for the lot. Perhaps a bit measly but the scope has nearly cleaned me out!

Many thanks in advance

Right then all you photographers, I would like to pick your brains for a little advice. After seeing some of the fantastic digiscoped images on this thread and various other places I have decided to take a tentative step into the world of photography. I have bought a shiny new scope today (Opticron ES80 GA ED with 20-60 HDF eyepiece) but dont have a clue what bits and bats I need to have a reasonable crack at digiscoping. A camera would be a start I reckon. Would anyone be able to recommend a camera/adapter combination which may work well with my scope? If not, what sort of things do I need to be looking for to identify a suitable digiscoping camera? (lens/zoom etc?)

My top budget would be £200 for the lot. Perhaps a bit measly but the scope has nearly cleaned me out!

Many thanks in advance

I'm interested in hearing the advice given for this - I've got the same scope setup and can't manage to get successful digiscoping results from it - mainly as the eyepiece is too big for the lens of my old compact camera. I'd suspect one of Opticron's fixed eyepieces would be better.

I wonder how many people have ticked Collared Fly after seeing a Pied?

I'd be just as annoyed the other way I think - Pied Fly's my yearlist bogey this year, I'd be disgruntled if I came home and couldn't rule out Collared ;)

Seriously, though, I'd hope they've given it some rather distinctive legwear so people can tick it with confidence! ;)

Andy, was you the guy in the hat, I think I was stood next to you, in a blue fleece jacket

aye i was the guy with the green floppy hat and the stone coloured sleeveless jacket john :t:, dipped on the olivacoeus warbler tonight, hope its there first thing in the morn fingers crossed

Secret Twitcher.
infocus (nearest is Denby Dale) do a camera/adapter kit for £269 for Opticron which includes a Panasonic Lumix FS10 and all the gubbins. Can't give you a recommendation but I think it might be worth consideration. Having just bought bins and a scope there I can say they are very helpful.

The kit is listed at the bottom of this page, http://tinyurl.com/36gdkxs. There is also a link to a digiscoping review at the bottom. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Cheers Northernloon. I have seen the kit on the infocus website but thought there may be a way of doing it cheaper? I may just say sod it and buy it with my next wage but just wondered if there were any alternative suggestions out there.

Many thanks in advance

I'd suggest the Nikon Coolpix P6000. I have the same scope as you and with this camera, (About £150-£180ish) the results can be very impressive. Ideally you need a bracket but to start off with try hand held. You can make a bracket - I've a couple of good ones; one built with a sardine tin, and the other a Lynx deodorant top!

You will never get cracking results with the eye-piece you have - great for birding, but for digiscoping you do need a smaller wider angle fixed lens. I think mine is a 25X or something like that. Zooming down on your lens to a similar mag. still won't give you as good.

But you won't get a better camera for the price.

aye i was the guy with the green floppy hat and the stone coloured sleeveless jacket john :t:, dipped on the olivacoeus warbler tonight, hope its there first thing in the morn fingers crossed

By the sound of it the bird showed far better in the morning /early afternoon than it did later. Anyone thinking of going tomorrow will probably be best going earlier rather than later.

I was there from 3.30pm - 6.30 and didn't get a sniff.

Dave.

camera/adapter kit for £269 for Opticron which includes a Panasonic Lumix FS10

I used this kit for the photos of Curlew Sandpiper, Whiskered Tern, Green Sandpiper etc. on Flickr with Opticron GS 815 GA ED telescope with 20-60x zoom. The video of Spotted Crake was at 60x zoom although with tripod in hide so minimal wind disturbance. I'd recommend the cable release or if not self-timer.

I must have seen about a dozen at Spurn on Friday. They are pretty much guaranteed there this week I reckon.

Not on Saturday they weren't :eek!:

I'm at Flam next week. Those bushes will get a good scour! It's my own fault for being busy getting married during the peak time for the local ones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back