• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saskatchewan Birds (today) (1 Viewer)

AdamfromCanada

All of these birds are from Southern Saskatchewan on Oct. 26.

1) Sparrow of some sort...maybe snow bunting?

2) Dark-eyed Junco?

3) Young grebe, but I think it's too small to be red-necked.

4) Another grebe? Also a young one I think?

5) Some sort of sandpiper? Maybe solitary?

Attachments

• IMGP5873small.jpg
    IMGP5873small.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMGP5880small.jpg
    IMGP5880small.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMGP5882small.jpg
    IMGP5882small.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMGP5893small.jpg
    IMGP5893small.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMGP5925small.jpg
    IMGP5925small.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
1. Snow Bunting
2. Dark-eyed Junco
3. Pied-billed Grebe - juvenile
4. Eared Grebe - adult winter
5. I'm pretty sure this is Greater Yellowlegs. The bill looks quite long and the bird looks quite bulky and leggy.

BirdHard.

the yellowlegs is a Lesser imho, the bill is the same length as the width of the head (1.5 cm on my monitor) the grey breast seems smoother which indicates lesser. Aging is harder (for me anyway) it could be a juv or an adult in non breeding plumage, as it is only October, if i had to choose , i would go for juv. fwiw. I would wait for more knowledgable BF members to give an opinion though.

Andy

the yellowlegs is a Lesser imho, the bill is the same length as the width of the head (1.5 cm on my monitor) the grey breast seems smoother which indicates lesser. Aging is harder (for me anyway) it could be a juv or an adult in non breeding plumage, as it is only October, if i had to choose , i would go for juv. fwiw. I would wait for more knowledgable BF members to give an opinion though.

Andy

Agree with Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back