• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow ID - Central Ohio, U.S. (1 Viewer)

prweasel

I saw this bird in a bush in a large field west of Columbus, Ohio. When I shot it I assumed it was a Field Sparrow because there were a number around, but the markings aren't quite right. Is this a juvenile? Or something else?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

pat

Attachments

• 080706PrOak016.jpg
    080706PrOak016.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 199
Jim:

Thanks for the quick response. Funny that you compared it to another one of my images. I looked at a couple of images of juvenile Field Sparrows (both my images and images I found elsewhere), but still wasn't sure.

Just wanted to be sure I had an accurate ID before posting it to my online gallery.

pat

Jim:

Thanks for the quick response. Funny that you compared it to another one of my images. I looked at a couple of images of juvenile Field Sparrows (both my images and images I found elsewhere), but still wasn't sure.

Just wanted to be sure I had an accurate ID before posting it to my online gallery.

pat

Oops. Did not notice that; however, it's the only one I could find on Google. Moreoever, it does look good for a juvenile Field Sparrow, e.g. due to the orange bill and legs plus the bold eye-ring. Most juvenile sparrows have breast streaking even when the adults do not. Also, my sparrow book indicates that juvenile Field Sparrows will lack the orange head coloration of the adults.

Best,
Jim

[EDIT: Also, it seems pretty clear that the bird is a juvenile. Some of the juvenile "gape" appears to remain, and the proportions are definitely off for an adult, e.g. note the big-eyed and big-billed appearance].

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back