• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Scops Owl (Otus scops) in Denmark??? (1 Viewer)

Kent Olsen

I have just received this recording of a possible European Scops Owl (Otus scops) that is singing only at night time in a garden in Denmark. Sounds like the real thing, but then again not quite identical to recordings that I have available for reference…

I need some help. What is it?

The recording is made with a mobile phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ucd1CfoIxM

Thanks in advance, Kent

Hi Kent,

Very interesting. It sounds pretty good to me (but I have only limited experience of Scops). I know that, on occasions, the call of the Midwife Toad (Alytes obstetricans) is sometimes mistaken for Scops Owl. I am not sure if Midwife Toads are present in Denmark - I don't think they are - or whether they can sound like this, but might be worth checking. If not, I can't think what else it could be. It will be interesting to hear from anyone with regular experience of Scops Owl.

Terry

Sounds different to my ears, not a Scops. No idea what it is though. Sounds too long and not high pitched enough.

Last edited:
As Motmot says, its not Scops, though there are no other European Owls that come even close.
Have listened to a few Midwife Toad recordings, and I dont think its one of those either.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back