• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Took from Los Angeles Botanical Garden (1 Viewer)

Nutmeg Mannikin (also called Spice Finch). Not native, but established here & there in various places including Southern California. They are widely kept as caged birds, escapees being the ultimate source of the free living populations.

Why do we have Bronze Manniken and now Scaly-Breasted Munia? Do we really need to re-sell Field guides that badly?

From the ABA blog--

"Nutmeg Mannikin was added to the ABA Checklist in 2013 on the basis of established populations in southern California. The species has had many names in the ornithological literature and the pet trade, including Spice Finch, Spotted Munia, and Scaly-breasted Munia. The proposal to change the name is based on the fact that most Lonchura species are referred to as Munia in their native ranges, and it also saves the North American birding community from the embarrassment of regular misspelling when thinking of the unrelated neotropical family Pipridae, known as manakins.".

Sigh. . ..

Personally, I'm sticking to Nutmeg Mannikin.

Why do we have Bronze Manniken and now Scaly-Breasted Munia? Do we really need to re-sell Field guides that badly?

If Bronze Manniken is added to the ABA list, they'll probably adpot the name Bronze Munia too, to be consistent. Right now it's not considered established, so the ABA doesn't have an official name for it.

I still think it's a marketing ploy.

I must say I find the notion of "Big Field Guide" with that kind of lobbying muscle hard to take seriously. ;).

With respect to the Mannikin name change, the AOU has a long history of tomfoolery regarding common names and there's no reason to suspect that there's anything more to it than that.

Last edited:
the AOU has a long history of tomfoolery regarding common names and there's no reason to suspect that there's anything more to it than that.
It does, but this isn't one of them, it's a very sensible decision to use the same name that everyone else has used for ages.

I must say I find the notion of "Big Field Guide" with that kind of lobbying muscle hard to take seriously. ;).

Amazon, however, does have that kind of muscle and may very well have strong-armed the committee into this decision :smoke:

With respect to the Mannikin name change, the AOU has a long history of tomfoolery regarding common names and there's no reason to suspect that there's anything more to it than that.

Apart from anything, its easy to change the name in a fieldguide;)

I've seen all three names used here in Cairns where they're a common feral (gradually driving out our native finches...) I tend to call them Spice Finches as the Aussie Estrildids are usually referred to as Finches as well.

It does, but this isn't one of them, it's a very sensible decision to use the same name that everyone else has used for ages.

Not so. From my point of view it's just rest-of-the-world imperialism (to use one of your favorite words). ;)

Besides, see post #13.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back