• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acrocephalidae (1 Viewer)

Markus Lagerqvist

Sweden
Hi,

There's a new study on the Acrocephalidae out on Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution.

"Multi-locus phylogeny of the family Acrocephalidae (Aves: Passeriformes) – the traditional taxonomy overthrown."

Does anyone have access or o a copy of the study? Would be interesting to read!

Abstract:

"We present the first study of the warbler family Acrocephalidae based on one mitochondrial and three nuclear DNA loci, in total not, vert, similar2900 bp, including most or all of the species in three (Acrocephalus, Hippolais and Chloropeta) of the four genera and one species in the fourth genus (Nesillas) in this family. All three genera were suggested to be non-monophyletic, although the non-monophyly of Acrocephalus is not fully convincingly demonstrated. Six major clades were found, which agreed largely with the results from two earlier mitochondrial studies, and for which the names Hippolais, Iduna, Acrocephalus, Calamocichla, Notiocichla and Calamodus have been used. However, the results also revealed some new constellations, due to better resolution of deeper nodes and the inclusion of more taxa. The taxonomic implications are discussed."

You can PM me your email for a pdf copy.

The authors favour 5 genera in this family :

Nesillas (supposedly 5 species including 1 extinct)
Calamonastides (1 species : Chloropeta gracilirostris)
Iduna (7 species : the usual 4 + Acrocephalus (Phragamaticola) aedon, Chloropeta natalensis & C. similis)
Hippolais (the usual 4 species)
Acrocephalus (the remaining species in 3 clades : Calamodus, Notiocichla & Acrocephalus)

But not a word on Scotocerca inquieta ...

Last edited:
Just in case somebody would like to comment the tree...
The tree doesn't include any examples of Prinia. Given that Scotocerca inquieta has sometimes been placed in Prinia, is it possible by extension that Acrocephalidae should also include Prinia? (Or do other studies clearly support the placement of Prinia within Cisticolidae?)

Richard

Just in case someone would like to comment on the tree...

The node that unites Scotocerca to acrocephalids has a ML bootstrap support below 50%, and a Bayesian posterior probability of .70. Nodes with this type of support generally mean close to nothing, I'm afraid. (As a rule, bootstrap support should in any case be above 70%, and Bayesian PP above .95.)

(Additionally, I'd be a little bit cautious about the sequence itself as well. This is the only available sequence of Scotocerca to date, and it was not produced by Barhoum & Burns themselves - they got it from GenBank [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/7381261], where it is the only sequence associated to a paper that, as far as I can judge, never appeared in press. This means that we don't really know how the sequence was obtained, and have no way to assess its quality. GenBank is filled with sequences that have a similar status and, in my experience, these are quite prone to include incorrect data... I'm not saying it's the case for this one, of course - but, still, I'd keep this in mind when assessing the case.)

I've tried to play a bit with the sequence. It clearly is not very close to any (other) published cisticolid cyt-b sequence (including those of Prinia), but it is also pretty distant from all other sylvioid groups. It tends to move around depending on which other taxa I include in the tree - often popping out as distantly basal to the acrocephalids, as in Barhoum & Burn's tree, but I also get it distantly basal to other groups, including in some cases cisticolids, with some combinations of taxa. (I've attached such a tree - I didn't try to assess supports on this one, because the data set is quite large and it would take ages to do on my PC.)

This sequence clearly does not add support to Scotocerca being a cisticolid, but I do not believe either that it can be used to say that it isn't one (at least unless you want to use the data as evidence that it forms a monotypic family). That said, if the sequence is correct, for Scotocerca to be a cisticolid, it would have to be a very basal (divergent) one. In any case, not at all particularly close to any of the Prinia spp. that have been sequenced up to now.

L -

PS - Richard: Yes, there is ample evidence that Prinia is a cisticolid. E.g.: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2005.05.015, and http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2006.07.008. (The first one is available from Per Ericson's website, but you have to ask for a username and password to get access.)

Attachments

• cytb-Scotocerca.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
"Multi-locus phylogeny of the family Acrocephalidae (Aves: Passeriformes) – the traditional taxonomy overthrown."
Hi everybody,

I have read an article about “Molecular Phylogeny of Palearctic–African Acrocephalus and Hippolais Warblers”, using the method of “Cytochrome b sequences”. It’s quite an old study (1999), but its main conclusions don’t all contradict with traditional taxonomy. Attached is the article in question;

Attachments

• Molecular Phylogeny of Acrocephalus and Hippolais Warblers.pdf
    140 KB · Views: 1,149
Pacific reed warblers

Cibois, Beadell, Graves, Pasquet, Slikas, Sonsthagen, Thibault & Fleischer 2011. Charting the course of reed-warblers across the Pacific islands. J Biogeogr: in press. [abstract] [supp info]
Taxonomic conclusions and perspectives
Results of the phylogenetic analyses indicate that A. luscinius, as currently defined (Dickinson, 2003; Bairlein et al., 2006), is not monophyletic. We suggest recognizing three distinct species in the Mariana Islands: A. luscinius from Guam (the type locality); A. hiwae from Saipan (named in honour of Yamashina's assistant Minori Hiwa and erroneously indicated as A. hivae in Watson et al., 1986); and A. yamashinae from Pagan. The taxon nijoi on Agiguan is probably best treated as a separate species but additional information is needed. Our genetic results also support the recognition of A. rehsei and A. syrinx as distinct species, as suggested earlier by Pratt et al. (1987) based on morphological characters. Although this phylogeny sheds light on the colonization pattern of reed-warblers in the Pacific, the mainland origin of the Pacific clade remains to be fully investigated. This will require the study of the numerous reed-warbler populations in the Indonesian and Melanesian region that have not yet been sampled, as well as additional populations of A. orientalis from Indonesia to Japan.

Last edited:
Cibois et al 2011: "Two other extant populations on Alamagan (A. l. luscinius) and Aguijan (A. l. nijoi) in the Mariana Islands have yet to be sampled." [my emphasis]

BLI suggests 1-6 birds(!), but when...?
www.birdlife.org/datazone/speciesfactsheet.php?id=7611

Thank you Richard, yes I read that, but I think the last sightings were in the 1980's. Not sure whether Alice or other team members got the opportunity to get there since then. It is a very remote place not so easy to get on. In addition goats abound on the island and eat about everything.

Cibois, Beadell, Graves, Pasquet, Slikas, Sonsthagen, Thibault & Fleischer 2011. Charting the course of reed-warblers across the Pacific islands. J Biogeogr: in press.

...Results of the phylogenetic analyses indicate that A. luscinius, as currently defined (Dickinson, 2003; Bairlein et al., 2006), is not monophyletic. We suggest recognizing three distinct species in the Mariana Islands...

And also Acrocephalus astrolabii.
Cibois, A., Thibault, J.-C. & Pasquet, E. (2011) Molecular and morphological analysis of Pacific reed-warbler specimens of dubious origins, including Acrocephalus luscinius astrolabii. Bulletin of the British Ornithologists’ Club, 131, 32–40.

Acrocephalus astrolabii

And also Acrocephalus astrolabii.
Cibois, A., Thibault, J.-C. & Pasquet, E. (2011) Molecular and morphological analysis of Pacific reed-warbler specimens of dubious origins, including Acrocephalus luscinius astrolabii. Bulletin of the British Ornithologists’ Club, 131, 32–40.
Cibois, Thibault & Pasquet 2011 suggests that the two specimens described as A l astrolabii represent an extinct taxon from the Gambier Is - forming a well-supported clade with A percernis and A atyphus (atyphus and astrolabii being sister taxa but with low support).

Thank you Richard, yes I read that, but I think the last sightings were in the 1980's. Not sure whether Alice or other team members got the opportunity to get there since then. It is a very remote place not so easy to get on. In addition goats abound on the island and eat about everything.

Definitely still present in small numbers on Aguijan in the 1980s as birds were seen there in 1983, 1985 and 1987 with an estimated 20-30 individuals remaining in 1985. The last confirmed record was made in 1994/1995 and I would say that the chances of this population still clinging on is very small, don't believe anyone has surveyed the island in the last 10-15 years though.

Aim currently working with a Canadian guy here on Rota who was part of the expedition that surveyed Aguijan in 1985 and 1987.

EDIT: Would also appreciate a copy if anyone has access.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back