• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed to run video on my laptop (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade

My laptop was running BirdForum TV, youTube and other stuff OK, but now something seems to be wrong! Whenever I try to run something it plays a little and then seems to buffer for extended periods and then just stop. I am not certain how to get it to work OK again.

Buffering frequently indicates a connection with low (-er than historically in your case) throughput/download speed somewhere on your connection, has your connection type or location changed? Have you recently added any telephony devices or extensions (assuming DSL not cable)?

You may be able to try this suggestion from that blog:
The next problem is trying to find out if the buffering is being caused by your PC or your ISP. It's easier to do this if you can compare two laptops and two ISPs. For example, try a different laptop with your ISP connection. If videos play properly, then it's probably a problem with your PC. Take your laptop to a Wi-Fi hotspot or a friend's house and watch a streaming video via a different broadband supplier. If videos play correctly on your laptop when you're away from home, the problem could well be your router, or your ISP.

The videos previously have run quite well (maybe a little buffering once in awhile). But lately, it is vitually impossible to watch a video). Also, I have noticed that even when loading a photo the computer seems to bounce around a lot, from one URL to another, back again, then maybe a different URL and more bouncing.

My wife's computer has also come up with the same problem. I am assuming that the problem is not in our computers. We have made no changes in our setup. I think the problem may be with ATT (our provider) or prehaps something has changed in our wireless router.

When I get a chance I am going to hookup with a different ISP at some wireless place and see if our ISP/router is where the problem lies.

I went to wireless eating establishment the other day and used their hookup. The computer still would not do videos without the endless buffering. At home I tried ccleaner and also TDSSkiller. ccleaner did its thing OK, but the TDSS thing went all through its check and ended with a screen which wanted me to send $90 USD to correct the problems it had found. After deleting all the "Reimage" files/screens that TDSS had imported to my computer my computer was in worse shape than when I had started the whole process. I tinkered with things some more and now the various programs are again working properly. But the video running aspect is still suspect and does incessant buffering. I may have to take the computer in to some expert and see if they can correct the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back