• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x Image Stabilised Bins (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Does anyone know if any company manufactures 8x IS bins with good optics, reasonable eye-relief (>13.5mm), and FOV over 7 degrees? With all the talk on other threads of new HD bins in 8x by Swaro, Nikon, Hawke etc., I began to test my own bins to find out what features are crucial to me. I realised (via some amateurish tests involving a music-stand, a tripod and some kids' books) that tiny incremental improvements in optics won't make much difference to me. My EL 8x32's have as much FOV and er as I need, but again and again my Canon IS 12x36 provided a more-detailed view at greater distances, and even better when I wore my glasses (hence the adequate er requirement). For closer birding, 8x would be ideal, but I was recently given a pair of Canon IS 8x25 and they are quite a different beast to the 12x36....I may have gotten a duff unit anyway (they often go out of focus when IS is pressed, or when "panning"), but in any case the er is minimal and the FOV only 6.5 degrees or thereabouts. So....wishful thinking, but is there such a thing as an 8x IS bin with good er and FOV (because I think that this, more than HD or whatever, will improve my own bino-viewing experience)?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back