• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

migrating from XP laptop to Win7 laptop (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
We have just gotten a new laptop for my wife.

1 How do I get the Win7 laptop to use classic skin or whatever the correct designation is for looking as much as XP as possible?

2 She has been using Outlook express as mail client. Should she be using whatever is the default mail client on the new machine (and can that handle two accounts at the same time) or something else? And how do we best migrate the address list, mailboxes, etc?

I expect to use an external HD to copy all regular files

Niels

Windows 7 has it's own look, it is not too different from the default XP look, it doesn't take much getting use to. But if by Windows Classic you mean the look in Windows 95 and 98, which you could change to in XP (and was called Windows Classic) then no you can't have that look in Windows 7.

As regards Outlook Express, the email client that comes with 7 is Windows Live Mail, similar but different to Outlook Express. Transferring is, in theory, easy. Have a look here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...ssages-into-Windows-Mail-from-Outlook-Express

If you have a router with two network ports it will be quicker to set up a workgroup and send the files direct rather than use a intermediary hard disk.

Best of luck

EDIT: Just noticed the Microsoft link is for Vista but the same applies for 7

Thank you for that. I have now succeeded in transferring the messages and the contacts, so my wife is happy with those things ;)

We will get a few more things going with time.

Niels

It's not too difficult to setup W7 to emulate the look of XP when it comes to the Start (Orb) menu and the Taskbar, when it comes to the new Explorer 'features' it's much trickier and some things just cannot be done (including one I consider a bug - MSFT say 'it's by design').

There are also 3rd party programs/tools available to do a similar job - I'd advise against them, if you can do enough via customising the available settings, you'll not risk compromising the stability of Windows.

Advice for a new W7 user: use the stock settings for a while then ask about specific fixes for the things that annoy, slow or distract you the most, then try to use Windows' own settings to 'tweak' it to your satisfaction, only turn to 3rd party tools when you're really stuck.

Thanks Andrew.

One of the things I have tried to get my wife to do is to use ACDSee as file manager for photos because I really like the editing features it has. That will take care of much of what she really needs to do on the PC.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back