• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A question about iPad (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
So, I am the lucky recipient of an iPad2 from my kids and I love it.

I am surprised that the battery life doesn't seem to last that long. I've turned off the location and blue tooth thinking that would help a bit in battery life so it is not always searching. Anything else I can do?

I get about a day out of the battery charge and maybe that's completely normal.

I use the original ipad and the rule of thumb for me is roughly 10% for every hours use equating to roughly 10 hours usage for a full battery. I dont know how long it lasts lying idle.
So a days use sounds about right if it is the same battery as the original ipad.

Ger.

Notifications use up a fair bit of battery I think, I don't have the email ones turned on and just go in to check emails when I want. I actually only have the imessage notification turned on.

Obviously the more you use it the quicker the battery goes, like anything else. Maybe turning down screen brightness would help too.

I can easily eat through a full charge in a few hours heavy use, so sounds pretty normal to me. :t:

Okay, well that's good to know that it is fairly average. I have 3 email accts in there for home and business so I might turn a couple of them off depending on where I am. Also, I am guilty of brightening up the screen so I'll turn that down a bit. Thanks guys.

One other question. Will a hard turn off, say during sleep time, help save battery life or does it really matter?

One other question. Will a hard turn off, say during sleep time, help save battery life or does it really matter?

I very rarely do a full shut down, however I do like to make sure all programs are shut when I have finished with them.

I use multitasking gestures - a drag from the bottom of the screen with four fingers brings up the taskbar, you press and hold any icon in this bar which brings up little red stop icons which once you tap an icon again will shut the program fully. You can also bring up this taskbar by quickly double pressing the home button.

I have no idea whether this saves battery or not, maybe but possibly not, but I reckon it must save on a little, and RAM, so I still do this on the assumption it helps something or other! :-O

I'm surprised that you don't get a longer battery life. The only time I have to recharge on a daily basis is when I watch lots of video (hours), otherwise I can go a few days. I wouldn't worry about location, mail, push notification, that really doesn't eat up much. I have found that a few apps that keep themselves running processes when sleeping will kill battery life, e.g. Skype. I kill those apps completely after use and don't let them sleep.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back