• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1D Mk111 Garden bird settings. (1 Viewer)

Just got my first 1D series camera :)
Seems a complex beastie! I would be grateful for some advice on settings for garden bird photography.
Any recommended custom function settings?
Can't decide if single shot focus or AI servo is best for perched birds?
All advice gratefully accepted. Have a great Xmas everyone.

Phil.

Just got my first 1D series camera :)
Seems a complex beastie! I would be grateful for some advice on settings for garden bird photography.
Any recommended custom function settings?
Can't decide if single shot focus or AI servo is best for perched birds?
All advice gratefully accepted. Have a great Xmas everyone.

Phil.

I'll start the ball rolling by sugesting the following.

Spot Metering.
Single focus point sellection, depending on the orientation of the bird i.e centre, left, right or top etc so to focus on the eye, also if the eye is obscured, focusing on the legs can achieve the same results.
I normally use A1 servo and burst mode, simply because the bird could move as you press the shutter.
Adjust compensation to suite the bird/background.
Don't have the tracking set to slow, as you would normally have with BIF.

That's roughly what I used to use with my Mk III prior to selling it.
I use the above settings with my 40D, with the exception of the tracking bit, which is not available.

I'm sure there'll be other sugestions.

Hope this helps and hope you have more luck with the mkIII than I did.

Hiya Phil.
Although I dont use a 1D my settings are usually One Shot AF,partial metering and burst mode.On stuff like Coal,Blue and Great Tits I underexpose by about 1 to 2/3rds to stop `blowing`the cheek patches.Hope this helps,Mike.

PS,Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours.

you set the centre AF point AF sensitivity to medium then get a fast moving bird in focus and hit the shutter release and the 1DIII does the rest as shown by the attached which seems to defy all logic to me! 1DIII 500f4 and 1.4 -- it was somewhere in focus at one stage before it dropped -- just shows the AF on the 1DIII is maybe better than people suggest -- this is the full image

Attachments

• snipe-AF-point.jpg
    snipe-AF-point.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 198
If you set the tracking sensitivity to slow it takes longer to latch onto something in the BG if you lose the bird - this gives you time to lock back on to the bird without focus being widely out. Also providing the bird is near enough on the same plane it will still be in focus even though there is no focus points over the bird.
I have found with the 7D (exactly the same principle as the 1d3) that slow tracking is fine for all bird shooting including stationary birds.

Last edited:
If you set the tracking sensitivity to slow it takes longer to latch onto something in the BG if you lose the bird - this gives you time to lock back on to the bird without focus being widely out. Also providing the bird is near enough on the same plain it will still be in focus even though there is no focus points over the bird.
I have found with the 7D (exactly the same principle as the 1d3) that slow tracking is fine for all bird shooting including stationary birds.

tracking was on medium! and that means normally it would have gone straight to the background --

tracking was on medium! and that means normally it would have gone straight to the background --
My post was not a reply to yours Graham but a general observation of tracking sensitivity, e.g the slower you set the sensitivity the longer it takes to latch on to something else when you lose the bird.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back