• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Devonian in Somerset! (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Here are my diary entries for today . . . .

Instead of going to Ashclyst Forest we decided to go to Wimbleball Lake in the hope of some rare wildfowl. It was awkward to get to, the main reason being my oversight of a very obvious signpost. However, we started off at the main Tea room car park which proved to be a very desolate place bird wise. To be honest there were a few but not anything to get the pulses racing. To start off with there was the majority of today’s 29 Coots and 30 Mallards on the water near the boating club. I walked up through a small thinly wooded area and found 4 Blackbirds, a Chaffinch, a shy Dunnock, a singing Greenfinch and two of 4 Robins. I was surprised to see a Greenfinch singing in winter. I made my way to the northern edge of this little area and a menacing white faced passerine was flying straight towards me, I froze and it kept coming until I had a Pied Wagtail shoot six inches past my face. At the other end there was a very small group of trees and the floor was littered with beech mast so I waited and waited in the hope of some Bramblings without any reward. Nevertheless, I looked up into the skies and counted 3 Black Headed Gulls, some of 35 Carrion Crows, a Herring Gull and a solitary Lapwing. I was captivated by a flock of nine of today’s 23 Tufted Ducks flying high up. I watched them and took in all the markings and identified them to be proven right by the field guide. This enhanced my mood as I had successfully identified some birds in flight which I often find problematical. I made my way back to the car straight up the rear of the linear wood at the top and only added 3 Fieldfares which I loved the sight of in a thin tree. I will need to learn the different types of trees. Back in the car I refuelled with a warm cup of tea and some prawn and lettuce sandwiches followed by an apple before moving on to the car park at Bessom bridge. From here I crossed the road and over a stile to a backwater cut off by the road and found some better birds to brighten up the day kicking off with a flock of 9 Pochards, 17 Wigeons and some more Tufted Ducks. The ducks can’t have been used to human activity as the majority of them soon took off to the main lake leaving a few Tufted Ducks, I scanned these and thought I had a Scaup as one of the ‘Tufteds’ had no tuft at the back of the head, orangey eyes, shinier bill than the three adjacent Tufted Ducks but most of all the upper parts were a finely vermiculated grey as opposed to the surrounding ducks with their black backs. I only saw this bird for a minute and with no experience of Scaups I was not confident enough of it. Another thing that worried me here was this should be a sea faring coastal duck. It could have possibly been a hybrid, I frantically set up the camera and scope only for all the remaining birds to take off to the other side. In the end I decided not to count it. A saving grace was that I managed to take some pictures of one of 5 Stonechats on the edge of the field. There were two males and three females feeding in the fields regularly coming in to perch on the fence posts or wires. In the distance I could see lots of Gulls and 3 Magpies. I ventured back to the other side of the road and the ducks were nowhere to be seen but there were 93 Canada Geese mowing the grass on the east bank behind the hide. I concluded my session here with a short look up north of Bessom bridge only to find the Wigeon, Tufted Ducks and Pochard but no sign of my earlier bird. Other birds spotted up here were 6 Cormorants on a raft and a Buzzard quartering the area. The birds seen today did not really set my heart racing apart from the possible Scaup yet I enjoyed it thoroughly having got my boots on and walked well off the beaten track. I felt contented.

02-02-03

On the return from Wimbleball, we came across a Song Thrush on the road at Morebath along with the second Buzzard of the day being mobbed by three Crows. At Bolham we made a snap decision to have a look at Knightshayes Court, this was a first visit here for me in a very long time. I was pleased with what I saw, a large estate with trees littered everywhere and a large wood behind the main house. We did not have much time left in the day so I had a short walk along the ‘Impey Walk’ and saw very few birds but there was a real treat in store for me on the way back. I hadn’t even walked fifty yards and two small brown deer about four foot high appeared out of the laurels and stalled before rushing up the hill keenly followed by a pesky black and white Spaniel. At the farthest end of my slippery stroll I had a very pale blotchy plumaged Buzzard on a telegraph pole in a field below the woods next to the river Lowman. I rued the decision to leave the scope in the car as I would have filled the eyepiece with it. A pair of Wood Pigeons flew over head leaving me cursing that they weren’t something better. On the return a trio of charming Long Tail Tits fluttered from tree to tree. I was on the home straight and noticed two tiny Siskin sized birds feeding on catkins. I studied these birds for a long time as it was obvious they were new ones to me. The overall plumage was a warm brown, with white underparts and under tail coverts. The facial features were mainly a buff brownish colour with dark eye lores, a small black bib was present under the bill. The bill was of a sharp orange finch like variation. The body was heavily streaked along the mantle, flanks, crown and the nape. There was a tinge of reddish brown on the chest below the bib but this may have been a trick of the light as I could not confirm this in other postures. The tail was forked and if my memory serves me right there were one or two white wing bars on black wings. All these features pointed to my very first 2 Lesser Redpolls! One thing I did not really manage to glimpse, that was the red patch on their foreheads as they were above me in an Alder or Birch tree feeding on catkins. They were both very confiding first winter females, I could stand right underneath them for long periods. There was even time for me to race back to the car and return with my scope and camera to snap some poor dark pictures. I was really ecstatic with these two latest additions to my list and this was a great note to end the day on.

The first pic shows how desolate the first spot was.

Attachments

• wball01.jpg
    wball01.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 275
Better Section.

After the birds had taken off, this was free of boats.

Attachments

• wball02.jpg
    wball02.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 195
Redpoll

This is the poor photo of the Lesser Redpoll. It will do to give you an idea of it's shape.

Attachments

• rpoll01.jpg
    rpoll01.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 207
What a beautiful spot Andrew. Talk about pristine and gentle rolling hills. I envy you for this beautiful spot and for the beautiful birds you have. I think we Americans could use a few romantic names for our birds as you have.

It was a beautiful place indeed, just wish the beauty was matched by rarities! The nearest village is Dulverton and I have fond memories of ice cream stopovers on the way to sunday walks on Exmoor as a kid. If you have seen the film Land Girls then this is the area it was filmed and Dulverton was the village.

Andrew

I loved reading your report as I know the area well. Wimbleball certainly has a desolate beauty, and Dulverton is a lovely village.

As you showed, perserverance is often rewarded! I am pleased for you that you had such a successful day. As for Knightshayes, my wife worked there as a volunteer for a while and she loves the place. The Lesser Redpolls were a great find for you.

See you at SlimBash.

That's me all over, never giving up till I've got summat good and glad to share days with someone who knows the area or anyone else for that matter.

This may seem a bit strange posting more than three years on ! Andrew- just made my first visit to Wimbleball Lake- wonderful- and saw my first Tufted ducks- was pleased I IDd them on my own and your post somehow reassured me! Saw a flock of what may have been linnets- striated breasts but not pink-more buff coloured-they didn't hang around long enough- approx 20. Also saw my first Great Crested Grebe and marvelled at the wonderful neck contortions-I know they are common , but for me it was exciting! A truly lovely place which I plan to visit again soon.

Wow, an old thread revived.

Glad you had a good visit there. Nice place. Sounds like Linnets alright.

During the winter if you get there at the crack of dawn or at dusk you should see some roosting Goosanders, nice birds.

My favourite area at Wimbleball is below the dam. Take the "no through road" to Hartford just before Brompton Regis if coming from Wimbleball Lake and then park by the fast flowing stream at the end of the public road. Dippers can be seen anywhere from here to below the dam. Walk across the cattle grid and up to the woods below the dam which are good in the Spring for Pied Flycatcher, Wood Warbler and Redstart plus all the usual woodland species. Also as you pass the cottage on the road down stop and have a look at the feeders for Nuthatch and Marsh Tit. Lesser Redpolls are usually around the trees near the dam, Tree Pipits a bit further up on the open moor. Roger

Now you have been birding a while Andrew if you saw the same Scaup,like duck would you have the confidence to count it? In my limited knowledge it certainly sounded like one.

Jos Stratford said:
Are Devonians allowed in Somerset? ;) it was good to see they sent the menacing white faced passerines out to meet you...
Yes! Lived in Dulverton, 20 minutes from Wimbleball Lake for the first 2 years of my life...

gareth_blockley said:
Now you have been birding a while Andrew if you saw the same Scaup,like duck would you have the confidence to count it? In my limited knowledge it certainly sounded like one.
My knowledge of Scaup has improved since then but my memory of the duck in question is hard to regain so I can not tell really. Irrelevant now but appreciably part of the learning process.

Thanks Roger and Andrew for your help-was out there yesterday-scaffolding on bridge and work going on, so not much around. Saw 6 or so coots, a couple of cormorants and lots of small gulls which may have been common gulls. Would love to see Goosander and the lesser redpolls.One day............
Dulverton has a great teashop, Jyothi!

sooseee said:
Thanks Roger and Andrew for your help-was out there yesterday-scaffolding on bridge and work going on, so not much around. Saw 6 or so coots, a couple of cormorants and lots of small gulls which may have been common gulls. Would love to see Goosander and the lesser redpolls.One day............
Dulverton has a great teashop, Jyothi!

For Goosander at Wimbleball you usually need to be there either at dawn or dusk and they favour the Upton arm of the reservoir. However during the day they can usually be seen on the river between Dulverton and Brushford.
For Lesser Redpoll you should learn the call so that when they fly over your head you can see where they land. Up the hill from the dam is the best area, May the best month. Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back