• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (37 Viewers)

A flight of Cormorants going from Rollesby to Ormesby Broad at least 70 birds strong this morning

During the winter months about an hour before dusk, if you go to the marshes north of Acle where you get a good panoramic view, you will often see in the region of 200-300 Cormorants flying west in similar sized groups to the one you saw. Large numbers spend the day fishing off Yarmouth and many day-roost on Scroby Sands. They also travel as far up as Winterton at times. I think that when the tide is high, many of them leave the Scroby Sands roost and go somewhere in the broads for the evening, hence the large number of fly-overs. Its one of my favorite spectacles of the winter and always brings about a great end to the day.

Thanks for the compliment. Happy to oblige ;)

Well it was refreshing to see a straight forward, interesting, nice, non-bitchy post about Norfolk's birds on the Norfolk thread, which is what THIS thread is all about.:t: These been so much rubbish and waffling on here lately!!!:eek!: If you want to write rubbish and waffle - start a blog - that's why I did!!!!!:-O:-O:-O

Good one Penny, go for the jugular!

Well I am getting blunter in my old age - they say you get like the people you are with!;)

I presume that 'Tideliner' won't be posting anymore on this thread if he is suggesting to ".....Go out find your own birds, keep quiet about them and know the wildlife of the area will be undisturbed by the birding hoards."
See his post here.

Well it was refreshing to see a straight forward, interesting, nice, non-bitchy post about Norfolk's birds on the Norfolk thread, which is what THIS thread is all about.:t: These been so much rubbish and waffling on here lately!!!:eek!: If you want to write rubbish and waffle - start a blog - that's why I did!!!!!:-O:-O:-O

Wheres the "like" button....oh yea, this isn't Facebook!
Guess being a public forum people can post what they like! I certainly do! Within reason.
Cattle Egret was a beaut today! Despite being in a bin bag on Stiffkey marsh I had a good view!
See what I mean?

Well I am getting blunter in my old age - they say you get like the people you are with!;)

I presume that 'Tideliner' won't be posting anymore on this thread if he is suggesting to ".....Go out find your own birds, keep quiet about them and know the wildlife of the area will be undisturbed by the birding hoards."
See his post here.

I'm sure he can still post here even if he doesn't report any birds....

Wheres the "like" button....oh yea, this isn't Facebook!
Guess being a public forum people can post what they like! I certainly do! Within reason.
Well actually NO, you can't post what you like on this particular thread - I had a couple of posts removed (a long time ago now), because I didn't stick to the whole point of this thread 'NORFOLK BIRDING', which is the whole reason I started a blog, so I could write exactly what I liked, when I liked!!!;)

Well actually NO, you can't post what you like on this particular thread - I had a couple of posts removed (a long time ago now), because I didn't stick to the whole point of this thread 'NORFOLK BIRDING', which is the whole reason I started a blog, so I could write exactly what I liked, when I liked!!!;)

Seems like that isn't the case though surely? Loads of the chat on here is what would be classed as "off topic".
I'm sure if someone said "Did anyone else go to see the Roller in Suffolk earlier this year?" it wouldn't be removed?

No disrespect Oliver, but the main subject of this thread is....... Norfolk BIRDS

Don't worry, I don't feel disrespected! Just saying that a lot of the stuff said on here isn't about birds, or sometimes not about Norfolk, or both!

Seems like that isn't the case though surely? Loads of the chat on here is what would be classed as "off topic".
I'm sure if someone said "Did anyone else go to see the Roller in Suffolk earlier this year?" it wouldn't be removed?.....
Its obviously a lot slacker on here than in previous years!!!;)

Shame that Cattle Egret didn't land......:-C

Oh wait...it did! Shame I have no car in that case!

No excuse Olly! I birded intensively in Norfolk for about 5 years before I got my first car. Thought nothing of cycling from Norwich to the coast to arrive by dawn day after day and when that got too much I just hitched. Saw Lesser Crested Terns at Minsmere, Scolt Head and Sheringham all by bicycle from Norwich in '92 & '93. Most of my best finds were in that period too.

I took your advice..
O.Reville....in a bin bag somewhere on Stiffkey marsh!

I mainly hitched after my bike got stolen on the day of Great Snipe and Lesser Grey Shrike on my patch, and I never found myself in a bin bag. Worked well for me around Norfolk, though my few attempts to get further afield didn't work very well (e.g. left at dawn for Blackpoll Warbler in Sussex and arrived after dark - good job it was still there next day). Getting lifts before/after dark was nigh on impossible but during daylight never a big problem.

No excuse Olly! I birded intensively in Norfolk for about 5 years before I got my first car. Thought nothing of cycling from Norwich to the coast to arrive by dawn day after day and when that got too much I just hitched. Saw Lesser Crested Terns at Minsmere, Scolt Head and Sheringham all by bicycle from Norwich in '92 & '93. Most of my best finds were in that period too.

I used to do LOADS of cycling before I could drive to birds but suffered a serious knee injury from Football about a year ago so biking is really a very much "First for UK" situation.

I mainly hitched after my bike got stolen on the day of Great Snipe and Lesser Grey Shrike on my patch, and I never found myself in a bin bag. Worked well for me around Norfolk, though my few attempts to get further afield didn't work very well (e.g. left at dawn for Blackpoll Warbler in Sussex and arrived after dark - good job it was still there next day). Getting lifts before/after dark was nigh on impossible but during daylight never a big problem.

Fantastic story about the Blackpoll Warbler! Glad you connected the next day!
Hitch hiking would be an option, its just finding the people as I am a fair way in land.
New car on Sunday though so will be back out there I'm sure!

Penny I have never posted up to date information on the exact location of any birds unless its a wardened site and geared up for large numbers of visitors or something very common unlikely to attract much attention. Something like the North Norfolk Coast or The Broads is plenty of site information to give out in most cases. The birds should always come first before the need to see something rare.

I have never used a pager or bird line to find birds and never will. Indeed if I see a twitcher scrum when I am out I walk the other way. Better to miss some lost waif and stray that needs quiet and peace if its going to be able to continue on its migration , than to get caught up in such madness of the crowds , the very opposite of what ornithology should be all about.

Last edited:
Talking about roller's one was claimed in Norfolk this spring. Anybody know if its been submitted? Would be the first record since 1991. There have been 11 records of roller in Norfolk since 1938.

Re #12944

To return to my enquiry some 35 posts ago, I am still no clearer on the narrative of the discovery/ID of the Citrine Wagtail at Cley.

I did learn that one was probably/possibly heard last Saturday, by 2 seasoned and reputable observers.

Unfortunately, the bird had disappeared before I arrived in the hides.

The various scrapes were holding many dozens of Pied, White and Yellow Waggies last night; most frustrating.

Judging by Penny's account on her blog, she didn't have enough to support a submission to the BBRC. Another one that, sadly, 'got away'. You could almost feel her intense disappointment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back