• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand-Malaysia-Borneo (1 Viewer)

randyy

Hi,

in October, I will be in Bangkok and traveling overland to Malaysia, and ultimately, Borneo. If anyone has any recommendations (good locations to visit, cheap-but-decent local guides, cheap-but-yummy restaurants, pointers to good trip reports, etc) please feel free to drop me a line.

Thanks in advance,

Randy Yuen
Colorado USA

Hi Randy

Go and visit Sepilok, close to Sandakan, Sabah, Borneo. Apparantly more than 220 species of bird can be found there, including Asian Paradise Flycatcher, 7 species of hornbill and the Borneo Bristlehead. Also go see the oran-utans there. Take a trip to Mount Kinabalu too.

Good luck.

Most people see the Bristlehead in Danum Valley... of course visiting that can be a rather expensive experiance...
But, as always, with the Bristlehead it depends on luck... I have a friend who stayed in Danum Valley 2 weeks, he never saw it...

Taman Negara in mainland Malaysia is a great place at any time of year. For directions there, just buy any of those Lonely Planet guide book things, as it is quite popular. Having said that, few folk venture far from the villlage at the edge of the reserve.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the advice - I've been tied up with finishing up the work thing, and haven't been able to prepare for this trip the way I would have liked to. It sounds like Borneo will definitely be the highlight!

Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back