• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tripod and head help needed (1 Viewer)

carapace

I'm not satisfied with my Swarovski CT travel lite legs and dh101 for the reason I've seen others state, vibration. I used to have a older AT 80 with a very heavy Swarovski tripod and it was bomb proof but became too heavy to lug around in the field as I got further into birding. I got a new ATM 65HD and the above legs and am missing my heavy old scope. There may also be a brightness issue and I may switch back to an ATM 80HD so any tripod/head recommendation would need to suit both scopes. I have the Manfrotto 701HDV head with I use with Manfrotto 190xprob legs for my Canon HG21 video camera. Many seem to like that head with Swarovski scopes. I would like a sturdy, lighter set of legs that I can use without having to use the center column (I'm 5' 5-6"). Appreciate any thoughts. Need to return this Swarovski tripod within 1 week.

Hi and welcome to Birdforum from all the staff and moderators. :t:

I've made your post into a new thread, better that way. As for your problem you may wish to look at the Manfrotto 055 legs instead (taller and sturdier than your 190 legs but pricier too), or if you're really plush with money look into a Gitzo tripod. Giottos do some decent CF tripods as well come to think of it. Thing is though it's almost certain your Swaro tripod is a Manfrotto one just with a new badge on it. Couldn't tell you which one it used to be though. Yet if you want true sturdiness in your tripod then definitely avoid anything which contains the words 'travel' or 'lite' in it's name and be sure to check out the maximum load rating, a good tripod should be rated to at least twice the weight of the kit you want to put on it.

More questions

Thanks Jaff, really appreciate your knowledge and help.

I do think I'm leaning toward the 80mm scope which weighs approximately 3.4lbs (sorry keeping units in lbs so I know how much I'll be carrying). My current 701HDV head is rated for 8.8lbs and weighs 1.8lbs. My current aluminum 190 tripod is rated for 11lbs and weighs 4lbs. With that set up I'd haul around 9.2lbs and I figured my last scope and hefty tripod weighed 12lbs so that should make me happier to carry.

Do you think I should upgrade to the 055 carbon fiber legs? They weigh about the same as my current aluminum 190 legs but are rated to handle 17lbs. Do you think there will be significant improvement in stability and anti-vibration? I'll sink the money if it means a more stable scope.

The 701HDV head is fine, correct? No need to consider the 501HDV head which weighs 1.7lbs more but is rated to 13.2lbs as opposed to 8.8lbs?

If the 190 is adequate should I consider the carbon fiber version which is still rated to carry 11lbs but weighs 1.2lbs less? Is carbon fiber really stronger, or better in wind than a heavier aluminum version?

Again, appreciate your time.
Cheers,
Cara

No probs Cara, that's what this Forum is all about. :t:

The 701HDV head is a good head for sure. you shouldn't need to change that for general viewing, most who use the 501 do so because they are into digiscoping which can add significant weight to the whole lot and obviously throws off the balance.

In answer to your first query, yes the 055 legs are that much better, comes with the territory of the increased price tag. You can find a list of current Manfrotto tripods here along with there specs to help you choose http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/category/8374.58969.0.0.0/Tripods and if you look carefully at the lists you'll see a button that converts the specs to imperial. Another important factor is how tall you are, in the specs you should see measurements for the maximum height of each tripod with the centre column down which is the key one. Ideally you'll want to be a little bit taller than that measurement (don't forget the extra height of your head and scope tho), that way you can quickly extend all 3 legs to their fullest and you won't need to be fiddling with adjusting them to suit your height. So no offence but if you're a wee shorty then the 055 legs may just be that bit too tall and not very suitable. You'll have to gauge that from the specs.

Which brings me to your last query, if the 190 legs are more suitable in height terms then that should take priority over the better capabilities of the 055 legs in my view (others may disagree) and you could indeed get some CF versions of those and yes CF is sturdier whilst also being lighter than aluminium, a big improvement (and don't feel quite so bl**dy nasty to use on freezing cold days! ;) ).

However I also mentioned the Giottos which I would say have superior CF tripods of similar height to the Manfrotto 190 range. I hear good things about the Giottos MTL8361B CF tripod (rated to 17lbs too!) which you might google and give a look. Also be sure to check out the rest of the Giottos range as they are a good brand that often gets overlooked.

Cheers. B :)
Adam

Last edited:
I had recently got an Induro CT213 CF Tripod Legs from B&H Photo. It could support up to 26.45 lbs and weighs 3.36 lbs. Price seemed reasonable to me at US$387 which is equivalent to a Gitzo Aluminium tripod legs of about the same support specs. For better stability, I combo the legs with a Jobu Jr3 Gimbal Head (US$329) that is recommended to support less than 10 lbs and weighs only 1.62 lbs. I got a Wimberley P-10 quick-release lens plate (costs US$52 and weighs 0.15 lbs) so as to mount the spotting scope onto the gimbal head.

Of course, I got this support setup for my Nikon ED 82mm primarily to do digiscoping. May be an overkill if you are only using your scope for birding only.

One of the key ways to judge a tripod is the diameter of the bottom legs. The legs get thinner as you move from top to bottom. The Manfrotto 190 series has a 16mm bottom leg (25mm/20mm/16mm) while the Manfrotto 055 series has a 20mm bottom leg (29mm/25mm/20mm). That kind of difference means a lot in terms of stability. Yes, it adds some weight because all the legs are larger. But it makes a big difference because all sections of the tripod are more robust. For equivalent stability to the 055, you would have to not extend the bottom leg on the 190 model. The impact on weight of the larger legs is relatively small. Most of the weight is in the platform, center column, and leg locks which are similar.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back