• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Redshank - Lake Neusidler (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Hi again,

looking through dozens of fuzzy waders*, taken under unfavourable conditions (birds far away and high winds preventing good focus and sharpness) I found this particular bird. Could it be Spotted Redshank? The image is not very clear, but I cannot see any other candidate species that would fit. The bill is very long for a Sandpiper, but it looks nothing like a Godwit.

Sorry for too many questions, this was a very intense trip!

Thanks!

*PS: if someone is interested in looking through some fuzzy waders, I have uploaded the "most-birds-in-focus" picture in full-res (http://ccd.wz.cz/ruffs.jpg), but I believe they are mostly just Ruffs (the potential Spotted Redshank is not in this picture)

Attachments

• redshank.jpg
    redshank.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 97
Ahoj oppiska!

No doubt, your image shows a Spotted Redshank in nearly breeding plumage. This species is quite common while migration. Did you make the photo really at our Neusiedler See or in the surroundings?
Current there is also a single Buff - breasted Sandpiper in the area, give it a try when you are at the moment in the area!

Regards,
Roman

Ahoj oppiska!

No doubt, your image shows a Spotted Redshank in nearly breeding plumage. This species is quite common while migration. Did you make the photo really at our Neusiedler See or in the surroundings?
Current there is also a single Buff - breasted Sandpiper in the area, give it a try when you are at the moment in the area!

Regards,
Roman

Unfortunately I am no longer there, it was only a weekend trip. I actually heard about the Buff-breasted Sandpiper - and it amazaes me that someone managed to find it amond the hundreds of Ruffs everywhere :) The picture of the Spotted Redshank is taken from a wooden platform at 47.678074,16.842853.

Spotted Redshank for sure. In your other pic most birds are Ruff, some Dunlins are also in focus.

André

in the "most-bird-in focus" pic there are also 4 dunlins scattered in the background right (of the "in-focus-group").

Thank you both for looking at the picture! But I am still completely lost - the variance between individual Ruffs is si high that I can't reliably tell which are the actuall Dunlins! Can you please point me to specific birds?

Oppiska look out for smaller birds with black bellies and brown mantle:

Oh my goodness, I did not consider these to be a part of the focused group :) It is absolutely amazing that you can ID birds that have literarly 20 pixels of information!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back