• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mini tripod (1 Viewer)

woodhornbirder

I need a tripod that goes as small as possible, so it fits in a backpack.

AM often going birding/twitching on a bus, and i dont want to be going long distances on public transport with a bag(containing scope bins etc) and a tripod slung over the other shoulder. It makes it tricky for travel, when getting on and off bus/train, also when travelling around tyneside i get alot of funny looks......in all seriousness its a problem because you can see people think i have a gun slung over my shoulder. The looks of shock on some peeps faces is amusing, but when you stares from the police/security guards its less fun!
Getting on and off the metro where there is alot of video surveilance, and twitchy[too many steroids] security types, I really dont want to be explaining myself to some pumped up security guy.

SO i need a tripod approx 40cm when folded to go inside my backpack. weight of 1 to 1.5kg would be good for carrying.

I did see this one:

Cullmann Nanomax 250 Tripod, which is reasoble price, but still a shade long. As this is my 2nd tripod, just used for goingon twitches, I dont need a top class performer, just something to balance a scope in windy conditions.
I have been using a monopod, but in bad conditions its very hard to go over 25x, which is rather limiting!

I reckon 40-50 quid would be my budget on this. ANy ideas?

Last edited:
What about the Slik Sprint Mini II GM 4-Section Tripod w/ SBH-100DQ Ballhead? Is it available in the UK? I've heard good things, and is under $100 Cdn/USD, only 780 g (1.72 lbs), and 35 cm (14 in) folded. I'm buying one myself.

This is too funny! Posts #2,3, and 5 are all the same tripod with a max height of ~1m! A small compact tripod that can't be comfortably used when you are standing or more importantly, support your scope is useless.

FWIW, an adequate tripod/head support combo typically weighs 2x-3x more than your scope weighs. So a ~1kg tripod is only suitable for a Nikon ED50 and there are only a handfull in this range that are tall enough for the average height man. Suggest you look at the Velbon Ultra Luxi/Maxi series or Benro CF Travel Angel offerings. None are cheap. If your scope weighs 1kg+, then you have many more choices. Still with the exception below, most tripods typically don't collapse under 40cm in height.

This is the shortest collapsed tripod I know of capable of supporting an ED50 and still tall enough to use standing.

Last edited:
This is the shortest collapsed tripod I know of capable of supporting an ED50 and still tall enough to use standing.[/QUOTE]

Yes that looks very stable. As far as I know what the OP requires doesn't exist. So the options are tall and unstable; as you suggested above which will be about as useful as a monopod or shorter but with more stability. I birded around OZ and New Zealand for six months with a velbon ultra maxi i SF with a Swarovski 65mm scope on it extended to ~85cm, yes you squat to use it, but hey its stable and better than not having the scope with me.

Mark

Grains,

I use a Slik Sprint Pro II GM with my ED50. I'm nearly 6 ft and use a straight scope so I have to use it at maximum column height. In breezy conditions vibration affects the view significantly. I put up with it because there's nothing else I can find with the same combination of height and low weight, but I suspect others wouldn't. If you are tall and/or use a straight scope, and/or you want to support anything heavier than an ED50 on a Slik Pro GM I'd therefore recommend that you try before you buy if you can.

The type of head you use is a personal thing, and many on this forum are happy with a ball head in conjunction with an ED50. However, I'm not sure it's a good idea with anything larger. I'd certainly recommend something with a pan bar for anything larger than an ED50. I personally prefer a fluid head, but you can get 3-way heads with a bar that you rotate to lock and unlock the pan/tilt, in fact my Slik Pro came with one.

thanks for the posts )

I am 6ft 3 but i dont need it to go full height, as this is a secondary tripod, simply for twitching birds upto 100 miles away. tbh 90% of the time I arrive, set the scope up see the bird, and am gone again within 30mins to catch the next bus. its possible i could even use it sitting down, dependingon terrain, and how many long haired hippy birder types are swirling about.

I have a reasonably decent carbon fibre tripod for seawatching at newbiggin or cresswell etc.

will mullover your posts over weekend...

Last edited:
Hi,
If your goal is quite so specific, short duration views for immediate vicinity twitches, you may not need a tripod at all. A pistol grip fitted to my little Nikon 50 allows a very adequate viewing arrangement. It even works for digiscoping, provided the bird is very cooperative. There was a BF thread earlier that discussed this option and I found it works for me.
Please note this may be unworkable for any full sized glass, unless you bench press 200kg routinely.

I have a suggestion for you which would be simpler [and indeed cheaper] than buying a new tripod...

Get a bigger rucksack. ;)

Seriously, its worth considering. When I don't want to go wandering around with my tripod over my shoulder, I use a 45 litre rucksack, which can take the legs [diagonally with the head off], plus scope, flask, a folding stool, and all manner of other bits and pieces.

@A pistol grip fitted to my little Nikon 50 allows a very adequate viewing arrangement. It even works for digiscoping, provided the bird is very cooperative. There was a BF thread earlier that discussed this option and I found it works for me.@

excellent idea, are you able to supply me one within the budget mentioned plz? ...Ill cover the postage to uk. thanks)

If you really want to go with a tripod that is so compact that you'll have to sit down to use it, consider this to take as well:

http://www.walkstool.com/

I have one in my rucksack all the time, it collapses small enough to fit in a daypack, and it is much more comfortable than sitting on the ground (especially in wet grass!).
Note there's two sitting modes, legs fully stretched and legs collapsed. The latter position will allow you to rest your elbows on your knees and makes for a comfortable sit in prolonged viewing behind a compact tripod, or even with bins only.
It's very strong and durable, and takes 150 kg weight in either sitting position.

Best regards,

Ronald

@A pistol grip fitted to my little Nikon 50 allows a very adequate viewing arrangement. It even works for digiscoping, provided the bird is very cooperative. There was a BF thread earlier that discussed this option and I found it works for me.@

excellent idea, are you able to supply me one within the budget mentioned plz? ...Ill cover the postage to uk. thanks)

Hi,
I'm using this unit, $15 at Amazon USA: http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Accu-H...JJCI5Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312641567&sr=8

It seems Amazon UK offers something similar here for 11 quid: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camera-Blac...N066/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312641722&sr=8-1

Note that there are several other grip options. This one works for me, although it is a bit smaller than I would prefer.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back