• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo tripod recommendation for a 65 scope (1 Viewer)

tbcash80

Hi

I regularly use a Gitzo 1 series Traveller tripod with a 2180 head for my Leica 65 (angled). In hides that is great but seawatching in north Norfolk and it's not quite up to it.

I am looking at the 2542 and 3542 Mountaineer models possibly with the 1720QR head or using the 2180 and would be very grateful for any feedback. For me lightness and compactness are important with stability of course. I have thought about but not used the Systematic range and having never used a tripod without a centre column am slightly reticent about the Systematics. Again any feedback on those would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Systematics do take a little longer to adjust the height but are more rigid for a given series. The lack of a center column can be a little inconvenient for fine adjustments or multiple users so bear this in mind when choosing.

To date I have been using either my GT2531 Mountaineer or my GT3530LS Systematic (sold yesterday!). Whilst the 2 series Mountaineer is markedly better than what I see most other birders using it does fall behind my Systematic for stability and vibration resistance - bear in mind though that the Systematic is one series larger.

Personally I prefer Systematics for everything due to their better rigidity but they may not suit you and your requirements - we are all different!

Either of the two Mountaineer models that you suggest will do a good/very good job for you but the 3 series will be better though heavier. If you are able to get to a shop that stocks a good range of Gitzo tripods then also have a look at the Gitzo GT2542LS - were I buying now (for scope use) this may well be my choice. My tripods are primarily for photography so I optimise them for that.

Hope that lot makes ense!

Systematics do take a little longer to adjust the height but are more rigid for a given series. The lack of a center column can be a little inconvenient for fine adjustments or multiple users so bear this in mind when choosing.

To date I have been using either my GT2531 Mountaineer or my GT3530LS Systematic (sold yesterday!). Whilst the 2 series Mountaineer is markedly better than what I see most other birders using it does fall behind my Systematic for stability and vibration resistance - bear in mind though that the Systematic is one series larger.

Personally I prefer Systematics for everything due to their better rigidity but they may not suit you and your requirements - we are all different!

Either of the two Mountaineer models that you suggest will do a good/very good job for you but the 3 series will be better though heavier. If you are able to get to a shop that stocks a good range of Gitzo tripods then also have a look at the Gitzo GT2542LS - were I buying now (for scope use) this may well be my choice. My tripods are primarily for photography so I optimise them for that.

Hope that lot makes ense!

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. The only part I wasn't sure of was about the Systematic series being one size larger. Is a 3542 Systematic bigger than a 3542 Mountaineer?

Many thanks.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. The only part I wasn't sure of was about the Systematic series being one size larger. Is a 3542 Systematic bigger than a 3542 Mountaineer?

Many thanks.

No the first number denotes the series regardless of the tripod type, for example a GT3542LS is a:

G(Gitzo?) T(tripod) 3 (series 3) 5 (Carbon Fiber) 4 (leg sections) 2 (Issue 2 or Mk2) L (long) S (Systematic)

There is some help (confusion?) here:

http://www.gitzo.com/service/Product+Code+System/Product+Coding+System/13114572

Once you get used to it the Gitzo naming system is quite logical - once you get used to it!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back