• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

repairs (1 Viewer)

bill54

Hi. My barr & Stroud sierra bins have some damage to the eyepieces. Any ideas where i may get them fixed? (I live in the newcastle upon tyne area)

Sorry for the slow response. B&S binoculars are produced for Optical vision Ltd and you could start by contacting them through their website, or failing that, try phoning 01359 244200.
http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/contact_ovl.html

I've heard mention of various independent companies that do repairs for specific brands but the number of independents seems to be diminishing. I haven't used either but these two might be worth a try.
http://binocular-repair.co.uk
http://www.actionoptics.co.uk

David

Hi Happy new year. just for info, I contacted Barr and Stroud for repairs. it seems my guarantee is worthless. They gave me this address http://opticalrepairs.com based on the south coast

Hi Bill!

Happy New Year to you!

I don't know of any binocular company that covers accidentally damaged binoculars under its guaranty. In fact most guarantees specifically state that accidentally damaged binoculars do not have guaranty coverage if they were damaged during ownership.

Swarovski has often repaired damaged binoculars for free but for them it is voluntary and it falls under the category of maintaining "good customer relations" when they choose to do it.

Bob

Last edited:
Post 4.
May not be a good idea, depending on the damage.

If the binocular costs less than £100 to replace, I would prefer buying a new one.

P.S.
If a good repairer is found, and this may be difficult, then it will likely cost £60 or more.
Plus possible heartache and regret if the repair is not good.

Perhaps photos of the damage would help us see what the problem is.

Last edited:
Regarding repairs, it's going to cost more than it is worth so a new pair of bins looks like the best option. The damage is the optic under the left eyepiece. where the retaining ring has splintered.

Attachments

• left eyepiece.jpg
    left eyepiece.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 298
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the photo, that is a nasty bit of damage, I expect it would be quite difficult to fix, it looks like it would need the complete barr & Stroud exact EP replacing. Sadly, I think you may be right, likely cost is more than the bin is worth, as Binastro said, looks like a new binocular is the way to go.

Last edited:
last resort is a bodge job with a flat washer otherwise thay are in the bin. My Olympus dps 10x50 porro's are as goodas these anyway. thanks.

last resort is a bodge job with a flat washer otherwise thay are in the bin. My Olympus dps 10x50 porro's are as goodas these anyway. thanks.

Bill, Don't bin them, if you put them on the auction site as spare or repair, and charge postage, I think you will get something on them. I asked to see a photo as I wondered if I could help, I do a bit of restoring and repair, but normally on porro binoculars. I am an amatuer, not professional, i'm not sure I can help, but if you wanted me to have a look, gratis, PM me, all it will cost you is postage, but I cant promise to be successful. Anyway, I am certain sure you will get a few quid for them as spare or repair.

Ben.

I tried to put a new washer in to no avail. then I had the brilliant idea of stripping off the rubber coating to see what was underneath, and that is were they stand right now. if someone wants to have them for spare parts they are welcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back