• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Carmarthen in March from Victoria BC Canada (1 Viewer)

Carl Hughes

Carl Hughes
Hi All

My Name is Carl Hughes, originally born in Carmarthen. I have lived in Canada for the past ten years, currently living in Victoria BC.

I was hoping to get some information on birding spots or possibly meet up with a local birder. I have a few birds that I would like to target.I mainly want to get out in some natural areas and soak up the Welsh birds. I would happily return the favour if anyone was thinking of visiting Vancouver Island.

Our trip is from the 19th March till the 4th of April. I will be Spending most of the time In south wales, we will also be doing a trip to North Wales as well.

My welsh bird list is very small, below are a few birds that I would really like to see on my trip.
Fieldfare
Coaltit
Song thrush
Brambling
common reed bunting
Accentor
European green woodpecker
yellow hammer
long tailed tit.
Northern Wheatear
Eurasian Linnet
European Stonechat
redwing
European Greenfinch
Thanks in advance for any help. Carl Hughes

http://carmarthenshirebird.club

There's an event on the 19th Carl. You don't have to be a member - they're a friendly bunch down West:t:

Re. the list. The only Accentor we have is the Hedge Sparrow/ Dunnock. Brambling I find are always tricky in Wales. Not seen many Winter Thrush for a while either. The good news is that Wheatear appear to be returning this week. A wander around Kidwelly Quay should give you a good chance of the rest of your species along with the possibility of Kingfisher, Water Rail etc.

If I'm birding in the area when you are here I'll send you a PM with my mobile number etc. and we can try to sort something out. Having just got back from the Scottish Highland I'm a little apprehensive about asking the OH for another birding session just yet:-O

Rich

Hi Rich, Thanks for your reply. I will send you my uk phone number when Im there just incase you can swing a little birding.
Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back