• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa bd xd 12x56 (1 Viewer)

caleb cda

Does anyone use these, possibly mounted on a tripod? I am looking to see if they will compare at all to swarovski el's of similar size. Very affordable, but not sure if i want to buy a set that i may not be happy with.

I have recently been thinking of a 12x56 to be used handheld as well as mounted (as an alternative to a 15x) and looked into all 12x56 options. I do not now remember details but after extensive reading of reviews decided that the Barr-&-Stroud Savannah ED, which is $380 at B-&-H, is much better value for money, indeed even possibly (sorry I forget now) better in optical quality in some aspect/s, than the Kowa BD-XD, which is $720 at that retailer. Apparently the Prominar XD glass does not work well enough in this model to justify the extra cost. The B-&-S and the Kowa seem to be "clones" of a generic 12x56 model by Jaxy. Note that there is a Barr-&-Stroud Savannah non-ED 12x56 also. Previously I was so taken with B-&-S's Savannah ED 12x56, from what I read, that I bought their 10x56 model as possibly a better compromise but it was not sharp enough (at center field). I incline to think that this is an inherent difference in the two models rather than sample variation. If you do buy the B-&-S please tell us about it after a bit of use!

To venture to answer your specific question without having used any of these models: No, it will not compare to the Swaro 12x50. Comparable to the Swaro and the Leica 12x50 at a much lower price, though higher than this Kowa, is the Meopta/Cabelas HD 12x50; the Cabelas version is $1200 right now at a sale at Cabelas. There is also the 12.5x50 by the new co. GPO but the model is yet to be reviewed.

I've found the Kowa BD XD range to be rather a puzzle. As each successive model was launched I've initially found the levels of CA unacceptably high, but when I've checked them again a year or so later the levels were much improved. Just speculating, but maybe the specification of the Chinese glass wasn't up to scratch or something?

I did try the 12x56 and it was far too psychedelic for my tastes. That was two or three years ago, but unfortunately, I haven't tried it again, so I'm probably not much help.

I recently reviewed the Meopta Meostar HD 12x50 and I would certainly put that up against the Swaro any day. A lot more money though.

David

Caleb cda, David: David kindly commented on the Kowa BD-XD 56s for me as above some time back. From what he said/says I allowed for the possibility that CA control is now improved. But then a more recent review, I forget by whom or in which forum, was pretty critical of the model in some aspect/s which may also still include CA control (sorry I forget).

Other 12x56s presently made, which are optically good to very good, include the direct-purchase (from China?) Jaxy item. Other 12x50s include the Celestron Granite, Leupold Pro-Guide, Opticron Countryman, Vortex Razor and Vortex Viper.

Tha ks everyone for your answers, i have done more research and with everything i have seen i will not be buying these.

It may be a little while tell i can pick up a set of really good binos, but i will keep doing my research and stay behind the 884.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back