• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to carry a spotting scope - help (1 Viewer)

Pauhana

United States
Here is my dilemma.

There are times like today i needed to carry my scope with me in the field. My lightweight rig is a Pentax PF65II and a Velbon EX 630. But i also carry bin's with a chest harness and a Canon 7dii and 100-400 ii. Toting the scope on my shoulder is a pain (and painful) when i have to walk a distance so looking for suggestion on what methods others use. Have looked at something like a mulepack carrier but with everything else i carry i can't see that working.

Randy

I just use the strap that's on the stay on case to put mine over my shoulder, just make sure the scope is tight to the tripod, it can separate.

A

Hi Randy

I've had my hips replaced due to arthritis and also have arthritis in my spine, so carrying my scope and tripod is now beyond me. So long as I'm on a reasonable* surface I put everything except my bins into a wheeled shopping bag, like these.

This means I can take a camera, drink and lunch too; then stop off at the supermarket on my way home LOL. Also, I can put my wallet and all the small 'valuables' from the car in it

You may not feel your ready for this just yet, but maybe one to bear in mind for the future. And perhaps will help others who are reading this thread and are struggling.

*Mine is fine on rough paths, but wouldn't cope with going through heather for instance. Get a good quality one.

Hi Randy

I've had my hips replaced due to arthritis and also have arthritis in my spine, so carrying my scope and tripod is now beyond me. So long as I'm on a reasonable* surface I put everything except my bins into a wheeled shopping bag, like these.

This means I can take a camera, drink and lunch too; then stop off at the supermarket on my way home LOL. Also, I can put my wallet and all the small 'valuables' from the car in it

You may not feel your ready for this just yet, but maybe one to bear in mind for the future. And perhaps will help others who are reading this thread and are struggling.

*Mine is fine on rough paths, but wouldn't cope with going through heather for instance. Get a good quality one.

I'm in a similar boat to Delia, though not as far down the line. I have one hip almost 'ready' for replacement with the other showing 'moderate wear and tear' and arthritis in my cervical & lumbar spine. Over the years, this has been exacerbated by carrying rucksacks and heavy scope/tripod combinations over one shoulder. I switched to a lighter tripod/scope as a result and this has helped but, once the process has started it can't be reversed. I think I'll resist the shopping trolley option for as long as possible. By the time I need a zimmer frame to get about, I will be too old to worry about my 'birding cred' and will probably go for it! The only advice that I am qualified to give is: take great care of yourself when carrying gear and don't 'overload' your frame, especially not without distributing the load evenly. Enjoy your birding but be aware.

RB

My first suggestion would have been a Mulepack-like solution, but since you ruled that out:

If you're looking for a wheeled cart that is more rugged than Delia's solution, I've actually used my Burley Travoy to haul heavy camera gear into the field. Originally got it to tow behind a bicycle, but it turned out to be very well designed for pushing or pulling off the bike for reasonable distances. Has a nice foam handle, rugged, big pneumatic tires, nice bags attach to it, and it folds-down into a reasonably small package when not in use.

There are also companies that make dedicated hiking trailers that are attached to you via waist and/or backpack straps, or can be pushed/pulled via handle (basically the idea of the Travoy above, but a much more purpose-build design). That seems a bit overkill, and perhaps the Travoy is a better place to start?

That really does look good Kevin. Albeit about 10 times the price of my shopping one.

However, it would be well worth it if you were likely to be out in very rough countryside, or wanted to use a bike. A nice find that.

I'm in a similar boat to Delia, though not as far down the line. I have one hip almost 'ready' for replacement with the other showing 'moderate wear and tear' and arthritis in my cervical & lumbar spine. Over the years, this has been exacerbated by carrying rucksacks and heavy scope/tripod combinations over one shoulder. I switched to a lighter tripod/scope as a result and this has helped but, once the process has started it can't be reversed. I think I'll resist the shopping trolley option for as long as possible. By the time I need a zimmer frame to get about, I will be too old to worry about my 'birding cred' and will probably go for it! The only advice that I am qualified to give is: take great care of yourself when carrying gear and don't 'overload' your frame, especially not without distributing the load evenly. Enjoy your birding but be aware.

RB

LOL RB I long ago gave up worrying about what I looked like and dress for comfort/weather. You just have to know how to carry it off!;)

Since I started using the trolly I've never had even so much as 'a look' from anyone, except someone did say what a good idea it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back