• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dublin Birding (1 Viewer)

Hi
1st summer med gull at Bull island today. It has two rings, a long white one on the left leg (or two rings) and one white ring on the right leg. Too far for numbers. Any idea where it might be from?
Paul

Hi Paul

Sounds like a bird ringed either in Holland or Belgium.
It will have a long white ring with letters and or numbers engraved in black on it on one leg and a silver ring on the other leg.

regards
Sean

Irelands 3rd Terek sandpiper, found by Conor Foley, drew a large crowd last night at Swords. Plenty of shots to follow today Im sure!

What a bird! And in dublin too!

Owen

Was in Kilcoole on Saturday (Wicklow i know but thought it would be relevant for the Dublin forum) and here is a list of some of the sightings.

60 -70 Curlews,
5 Little Egret,
10-15 Oysercatcher,
A small flock of Dunlin (around 6),
A good number of mallard and a few Teal about ( no other ducks or geese present yet).
A couple of Sandwich Terns still present as well.
There was a large mixed flock (around 70- 100 birds) of Swallows and Sand Martins about no doubt preparing to head south.
Also 4 – 6 wheatear present as well as large flocks of Linnet (around 25 birds).
Around the car park there was Goldfinch, House Sparrow and a couple of Collared Dove.
Also sighted was 1 willow warbler and 3 or 4 spotted flycatcher (which I haven’t seen before in this area).
Also heard in the reeds were at least 2 water rails.

I had a walk along the canal around Inchicore last evening and spotted the following

4 Willow Warbler
2 Chiffchaff
2 Spotted Flycatcher (a first for me along here)
1 Linnett
50-60 mixed flock of Swallow and House Martin (no doubt preparing to head south soon)
1 female sparrowhawk
Plenty of Goldfinches as well as the usual Dunnocks, Robins, Blackbirds, Moorhen, Heron, mallards.

The highlight for me though was the aerial display of around 300 hundred starlings. Fantastic display...

Also sighted was 1 willow warbler and 3 or 4 spotted flycatcher (which I haven’t seen before in this area).

Hi stevensi,

Where were the Spotted Flycatchers at Kilcoole?

They're a long awaited patch tick for myself. Might twitch them tomorrow morning!!!

All the best,
Niall

Hi Niall,

There's a house at the bottom of the carpark that has hens and to the left of that house there is a laneway. It was up there that i saw them about halfway up on the left hand side in the trees. Any time i go to Kilcoole i always have a look up there as it does seem to hold a good number of birds. I hadn't see a spotted flycatcher all year then not only do i see 2 or 3 on Saturday in Kilcoole but i also came along 2 in Inchicore on Monday evening...funny how it goes sometimes.

I hope that helps...

Hi stevensi,

I figured this must have been where they were so I went yesterday afternoon after college (I had my bins with me) and spent an hour or so in the area but no joy.

Cheers for the info anyways,
Niall

Hi,

I know this doesn't really count as Dublin but I just wondered if any of you have been to Knocksink Woods in Enniskerry, Co.Wicklow? Reason being is that we've been quite a few times now in the evenings and during the day and it's as though nature/wildlife has deserted the place!
Its supposed to be a Nature Reserve yet the only thing we've heard are Wood Pigeons.
Are we totally looking in the wrong places or does anybody know if there's a good 'spot' to see birds? We've tried sitting for a few hours by the river in the hope that we may see a Dipper but again...nothing! We see more wildlife in our back garden than in the woods! Can someone advise as it's a really nice place but I always end up feeling disappointed!

Thanks,

Knocksink is coniferous I believe?

Irish coniferous woods are usually pretty barren in terms of birdlife im afraid sharon.
In summer you might get breeding siskin or crossbills, a few chaffinches, but it depends on the tree species present.

Glendalough of laragh would be better habitats to explore.

Owen

Thanks for the reply Owen.
I think the wood is more of a mixed woodland to be honest. Even so, would there not be signs of birdlife along the river or maybe I'm just being optimistic?!

Hi,

I know this doesn't really count as Dublin but I just wondered if any of you have been to Knocksink Woods in Enniskerry, Co.Wicklow?
Thanks,
It´s not much to write home about. I´ve lived in Bray for ten years, and gave up going to Knocksink 6 years ago. I don´t know why, but it´s very quiet. Glencree (Oak Glen), Glendalough, Bray Head, Crone Wood are nicer walks, I think.

Knocksink is designated for its petrifying springs (a priority habitat) - it also includes diverse flora (several good rarities) and good woodland invertebrates (mainly beetles). Years agoi i went to look for the petryfying springs (supposedly with tufa formations) but never found them. My memory is of a good diversity of native tree species but conifers may have been planted more recently. Doubt its much good for birds as others have said (maybe jay, buzzard, finches and warblers esp around the odd stand of oak).

Thanks for the replies, guys, think we might try some of the other woods/walks mentioned instead. Might still venture into Knocksink though, lack of wildlife makes me more determined to try & find some ;)

Yanks

Hi all,

The moulting adult White-rumped Sandpiper found yesterday evening at Merrion Gates, Sandymount Strand by Hugh Delaney was on show again today, giving excellent views at close range in the pool between the outflow & the dune from 13:55 to 16:50.

The regularly reported 2nd cal-yr Ring-billed Gull was also present, seen flying overhead at the outflow.

Further south at Kilcoole, Co. Wicklow the 1st cal-yr Buff-breasted Sandpiper found yesterday evening by Dick Coombes was seen for about 10mins at around 10:00. Elusive and keeping low whilst I was watching it. Later this afternoon however it was joined by a second bird and gave excellent views!!! (per. Pat & Stephen King)

Pics:
http://www.birdguides.com/iris/pictures.asp?r=0&rty=3&off=218822
http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web?task=Display&sighting_id=15195

All the best,
Niall

Last edited:
More Yanks

Hi all,

The female Blue-winged Teal reported on the North Bull Island on 11th Sept was relocated again this morning by Noel Keogh at 10:00 (and present up until 12:30) giving excellent views with c.30 Eurasian Teal in the outflow just north of the causeway.

A 2nd cal-yr Ring-billed Gull & a Curlew Sandpiper were also in the area.

See ya,
Niall

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back