• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BF 200 Club (2 Viewers)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
James made a suggestion that we should start a BF equivalent of the UK400Club, whereby we add BF Members we have seen to a tick list:
I think 400 might be a bit ambitious to start with so I've gone for 200 as a target.
As for the ticking rules, well here's a couple of suggestions:

1) You must have spoken to, in person, the member you're ticking.
2) The Member you're ticking must have posted at least once on the forums or Gallery.

Further rules gratefully received.

Here's my pitiful list so far:

ColinD
Lee Evans
Kiki
Peteh
Hawkeye
Manxman
Tristan Reid
Carlboy
Jane Turner
Paul Hackett
Darrell Clegg
The Drinker (added 25/05/04)
Grousemore (added 19/06/04)
Digi-birder (added 19/06/04)
AndyC (added 20/06/04)
Geoff Pain (added 20/06/04)
Hippywench (added 20/06/04)
Ian Morton (added 09/07/04)
David Palmer (added 19/07/04)
StewartJ (added 12/09/04)
MarJ (added 12/09/04)

Some valuable ticks on there (including a couple of scarce and elusive Manx endemics) and one very high profile tick that will grip a few people off.
Hope to get a few more ticks in June.....

Chris

Last edited:
Just posted my (pathetic) list in the original 'oop north bash' thread

EDIT (CJW) here it is:
Like my UK bird list, I'm a few short of the 400 mark! :

Carl Baggott
jthatch555
Richard Fray
Lee Evans
Jane Turner (possibly)
errr...that's about it, as far as I know.

Trouble is, as indicated on another thread, you can't always tell who everyone is and Steve isn't letting on who the 'personalities' are behind some pseudonyms!

Perhaps if they identify themselves or are 'sussed-out' at a later date, we can claim them as 'Armchair Ticks'!

Adey

If someone 'claims' a member who uses a pseudonym for both their user name and their signature how can we check whether they're 'stringing' or not?!

We shall probably need a 'records committee' to decide on contentious sightings! - Full written description, digiscoped shots, other observers, time and place, length of time viewed, distance from member and optics used, etc!!! :bounce:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've been racking my brains, but here goes with the ones I can remember so far. Apologies if I've forgotten anyone - do remind me if I have missed you out. I have seen slightly more than this, but certain of those people are now no longer members, or haven't posted for some time, for one reason or another.

In no particular order:
Andrew
Andy Bright
alan_rymer
Colin
Colin J
Doug
Monkeyman
Kingfisher
RonClark28
Lee Evans
DaveD
James
Trev
JWM
Paul Rule
birdman
Grousemore
Ron
IanF
Marmot
TerryH
Ivan
Nigel Blake
Vicky@glos
Peter Hayes
Paula
JohnJ
T0ny
Kevin
Dave Cromack
Gordon Hamlett
Paul Hackett
pduxon
Elizabeth Bigg
ornithopod
James Armstrong
Geraldine
Dave Smith
CJW
Kiki
AndyC
Geoff Pain
Hippywench
Steve
Green Fields (Ollie)
helenol
Pluvanut
LeeDavis
Malgos
Tim Allwood
scott m
Desertbirder
David Chandler
Reader
John Marshall
IanD
cep.2003
bmslavin
Andrew S
Deboo
Gajo
Faith
Bob Redhead
Ian Peters
davebroadley
GAZ
Mak
DSpeight
Alastair Rae
GeoffWood
Andrew Diment
Adey Baker
crackadee
Ken Knowles
RoyH
Rushfan = 76
Benjismum
Oystercatcher
benji's sis
Geoff Cartwrigh
tf1044x
Jos Stratford
robinm
Eagle
John Gibson2
Florall
Florall Colin
Ruby
Jake Apps
BrianB
John Cantelo = 91
Aquila
Sandra (Taylor)
Quacker
Geedub
Cuddy
Littlestintboy
Seahawk
Ericmd
Pauliev69 = 100
ChristineV
Snow Bunting
Joser4red
Birdthing
sidrat
salty
brianfm
Glen McColl
Hornet
Hindolbittern = 110
Dean Eades
postcardcv

Last edited:
Adey Baker said:
Just posted my (pathetic) list in the original 'oop north bash' thread

If someone 'claims' a member who uses a pseudonym for both their user name and their signature how can we check whether they're 'stringing' or not?!

We shall probably need a 'records committee' to decide on contentious sightings! - Full written description, digiscoped shots, other observers, time and place, length of time viewed, distance from member and optics used, etc!!! :bounce:

For confirmation of sightings, you can look at the Bash Post Mortem thread, where you will see photographic evidence along with ID.

I think contentious records (e.g. Adey's stringy Jane Turner) would need to be confirmed by the "tickee"!

Last edited:
How many 'Steves' can we look out for?

Can we lump them together as one 'super-species' or split them up into lots of sub-species - a bit like LWH Gulls!

CJW said:
I think contentious records (e.g. Adey's stringy Jane Turner) would need to be confirmed by the "tickee"!

The 'tickee' in question said there was another young redheaded birder in the area at the time - it was over 20 years ago - so it's a 50/50 chance of being Jane.

Except... I later recalled that the said young redheaded damsel gave us directions to Red Rocks - which strongly points to it being Jane! (We had a stunning male Black Redstart at Red Rocks, BTW, the best I've ever seen, so thanks, Jane!)

I'm sure I got a deboo the other weekend but he denies it.
That's quite a difficult one though 'cos there are conflicting descriptions and no-ones sure of the actual range of the species (not even deboo)

Adey Baker said:
She did have long red hair and she did look a lot like Jane's recent photo and she did have a lot of 'chat'!
Jizz based identification is always fraught with danger.......ask Jane!
However if you come onto the Rarities Committee, then you can put her on your list (isn't that how these things work?).....

OH & of course I have a rogerk on my list
in fact I first described that one as a full species!
Best field ID characteristics are it's uncanny ability to fall asleep in moving vehicles and snore loudly, especially when travelling slowly behind a slow moving vehicle, like....i dunno......a Tractor?

Last edited:
Darrenom said:
Presumably, the Minsmeet is classified as a 'twitch' then?

Does that count? I'll need a calculator........
Tick away Darren - don't forget rule #1 though, you won't get any birding done!

CJW said:
However if you come onto the Rarities Committee, then you can put her on your list (isn't that how these things work?).....

Dark deeds on Rarities Committees - surely not!!

Of course if Jane confirms my 'tick' of her it means she can also 'tick' me on her list - so there's a whole area open there for corruption on members' lists - it's a good job we're all basically honest (aren't we?)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back