• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eden Estuary News (1 Viewer)

Contents of the barrel for this week:
First returning waders including 2 lapwing, 2 redshanks and a black-tailed godwit. A few duck including 8 teal and 4 tufties.
Osprey can be seen most days if I have time to look downstream to the "osprey posts" and there was a peregrine present yesterday.
Post-breeding dispersal of great spotted woodpeckers has produced a couple of sightings - they like next door's feeders.
2 tree sparrows visited our feeders on Friday and appear to have melted into the ether once again.

Rob

At least it's not just me stuck in the doldrums!

James

ps - Mind you, the scrapings of Rob's barrel would provide me with no fewer than five garden megas! Context really is everything.

Things are picking up a bit.
A few waders coming through - 2 blackwits on Friday, with a single on Saturday and Sunday. A single whimbrel heard on Saturday afternoon and at least 20 redshanks yesterday.
Ospreys were seen on both Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday a flock of 35 goosanders was the biggest of the summer. 11 Canada geese appeared on Tuesday and have been present ever since. This is a rather later arrival date and an unusually long stay - perhaps they will moult here rather than going further north. Stonefaction's other dodgy geese (see Tayforth thread) are the abandoned relics of the hotel's menagerie.
Firday evening gave decent conditions ofr a scan downstream and in addition to numerous gannets I picked up at least 5 kittiwakes (104).

Rob

More activity: 2 whimbrel last night and a scan out to the estuary mouth produced 7 manx shearwaters (1N and a group of 6S). Whilst we probably ought to see them annually, the planets need to be correctly aligned(!) so this is a bit of a garden mega (105).
This morning 2 superb Arctic terns (106) and the Canada geese were still about.

Rob

A few dabbling ducks have appeared with 11 teal in the deluge of Wednesday morning plus 9 wigeon in the evening. Around 20 teal this morning, but incredibly flighty. The 11 Canada geese are still present.
On Wednesday evening I saw around 20 kittiwakes, including 5 flying in Balgove Bay, plus at least 6 Sandwich terns. Last night there was a single Arctic tern.
This morning a stunning adult summer little gull was NFY (107).

Rob

I saw a Little Egret from the bus as it crossed the Bridge over the Eden. it was flying awat but def and egret and the wing beats were too fast for Great White.

Normally not a fan of the bus since i too one from the Yukon to New York(5 days) but the extra height was useful today

Ian

I saw a Little Egret from the bus as it crossed the Bridge over the Eden. it was flying awat but def and egret and the wing beats were too fast for Great White.

Normally not a fan of the bus since i too one from the Yukon to New York(5 days) but the extra height was useful today

Ian

Ian

The Egret was first seen on Friday, but not by any of the Fife birders who went down to see it!! You did well!!
Hopefully it'll hang about as previous birds have done.

Little Egret is a rare bird in Fife, and is classed as a 'description' species, so I may need a description from you if the bird isn't seen again.

Cheers
Malcolm
Fife Bird Recorder

Malcolm

I hate doing descriptions so good look to the rest of the birders in Fife ;-)

It was heading up river so I guess it has a lot of river bank to get lost in.

All the best

Ian

Malcolm

I hate doing descriptions so good look to the rest of the birders in Fife ;-)

It was heading up river so I guess it has a lot of river bank to get lost in.

All the best

Ian

Ian

No-one likes doing descriptions if they're honest with themselves.
Unfortunately this bird won't be recorded in the history of the birds of Fife without one.
Sorry, that's the way it is.
Fingers crossed it'll turn up again, though it hasn't been seen since, despite a lot of searching.

Cheers
Malcolm

No updates as we've been on a family holiday to the Seychelles (it's a hard life). Saw all the endemics except the scops owl (heard only) and amazing seabirds. A trip report may surface in the fullness of time.
Meanwhile a pair of peregrines last night and a distant osprey over Leuchars village this morning.

Rob

Egrets, I've had a few ...

On Saturday lunchtime I picked up a little egret on the opposite shore (108) and later in the afternoon it showed superbly on the saltmarsh (the closest we've ever had to the house). We were out climbing West Lomond in the morning yesterday and got back to find no fewer than 4 little egrets present (albeit only just visible from the garden)! Assuming there hasn't been a larger flock since publication, this equals the largest group ever reported in Scotland - 4 on Mull back in 1969 (per Birds of Scotland). One of them is colour-ringed and appears to be one of the Tyninghame birds.
Other records of note: on Saturday single osprey and peregrine, 2 greenshanks and 8 black-tailed godwits. Yesterday: 2 ospreys, 3 teal and a few each of common (109) and arctic terns.

On Saturday whilst mowing the lawn I was able to watch little egret with an osprey hovering above it.

Rob

On Saturday whilst mowing the lawn I was able to watch little egret with an osprey hovering above it.

hmmm... it doesn't come a lot better than that, does it Rob, unless you're lying in the sun lounger of course:-O

D

Forogt to mention a narrow failure to see tawny owl on Saturday evening. One was calling v loudly and v close before it was properly dark but it slipped away unseen. Still heard only on the garden list.

Rob

The little egrets continue to entertain, although they are largely invisible from the house. The colour ringed bird was ringed as a nestling in Lincolnshire earlier this year. Thanks to John Anderson for the details.
Last night an amazing number of terns late evening, perhaps 200, mostly common with a few arctic.
Also last night I finally added common sandpiper to the year list (110).
The 11 Canada geese are still about, though I notice that people were reporting 10 over the w/e.

Rob

Some decent stuff over the w/e.
I'm not sure how many little egrets remain - I saw 1 post high tide on Saturday afternoon. The canada geese remain - there were 10 yesterday afternoon. I wonder if a fox got the 11th?
A notable influx of dabbling ducks over the weekend, with up to 150 teal appearing on Saturday (and still around yesterday), a significant arrival of mallard yesterday plus a single gadwall. Wader numbers are increasing though the well-vegetated saltmarsh makes high tide a bit tricky for viewing! Good numbers of greenshanks (the count recorder had 18 on Saturday) also 4 whimbrel on Saturday (he had 5) and 3 yesterday. The first flock of knot of the autumn was an impressive 101 on Saturday morning - many in summer plumage.
A grapevine text from the recorder (FifeOnly of this parish) at 4:45 on Saturday alerted me to a 2nd year Med gull seen from the FBC hide. They are still a rare bird on the Eden (prob fewer than 10 records) so I spent some time trying to locate it. Bizarrely what I found was a different bird - a juv/1st winter! It gave rather nice views stealing something unmentionable from a black-headed gull then loafing on the water. 111 for the year. Perhaps I should spend more time looking at gulls (or not)!
A female peregrine gave the best performances of the weekend - hunting the newly arrived teal. On Saturday I watched her clip one and knock it to the ground and it ultimately managed to escape. Yesterday morning a similar slight contact, followed by a different result. As it fled the teal eventually went to ground but landed clumsily and the peregrine stuck down a foot and caught it on the bounce!! Stunning.

Rob

A few snippets for the week so far.
Wigeon have joined the duck arrivals - max of 6 on Tuesday. There has also been an influx of Canada geese, with 40 on Tuesday evening. There are more feeding in a stubble field by the Coble shore (c60).
Waders have included a ruff on Monday evening, with 2 yesterday along with 12 greenshanks and 9 grey plovers (some resplendent in summer plumage).
A few common and arctic terns were fishing this morning.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back