• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Guernsey (1 Viewer)

JIM MIDDLETON

Hello,

I've just joined Bird Forum and this is my first post - I live in Hemel Hempstead but am going to Guernsey next week and wondered if anyone could point me to the best birdwatching sites there - I am particularly interested in Wryneck, Hoopoe, Short-toed Treecreeper, Ortolan Bunting & Dartford Warbler. Also any good wader / sea-watching sites and any good passerine migrant areas (eg flycatchers, redstarts etc).

Thanks very much

JIM

Hi Jim and welcome to Bird Forum.

I’m not a birding expert, more of a nature lover who enjoys watching birds and learning, but I’ll try my best to help. I know there has been a Wryneck at Pleinmont recently (go south down the west coast of Guernsey as far as you can go (by car). See
http://www.geocities.com/mplawlorgue/Guernseybirdnews.html

This site shows you the reserves:
http://www.societe.org.gg/reserves.htm
Click on the green dots!

La Claire Mare by the coast has a nice hide, but you can always see plenty of waders all along the west coast from Pleinmont northwards. The coastline here is flat and easily accessible and you can get nice close views of the birds. My favourite parts are the south end of Vazon (Richmond end, Fort Le Crocq) and the dunes at Vazon. Another good spot is Grandes Havres (further north), lots of Turnstones, Ringed Plovers, Sanderlings and others.

There is a thread by Malgos that you might like to look at - lower down on his page. He has visited Guernsey in the last week or so.

Good luck in Guernsey, hope you enjoy it.

Nerine

Thanks Nerine - this is excellent information - much appreciated.

I think I may have lucked out as I am staying at L'eree Bay Hotel - the map tells me that all the places you have mentioned are nearby and the La Clare Mare looks to be a roll out of bed !!!!

Thanks again

JIM

Jim while at Grandes Havre (my favourite bay!) look at your map and you'll see a small pond! It has a hide and is a very good site lovely Kingfisher ...
sometimes its quite! But its a perfect position as you have the sea on one side and the pond on the other!
Enjoy its a lovely Island and the natives are very friendly!

Thanks Eagle,

I'm very much looking forward to it. I just hope the weather decides to co-operate. I'll let you know when I get back !!!

Thanks again

JIM

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back