• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Canon 12x36 is lll & 10x30 is ll (1 Viewer)

Stanbo

The descriptions on the Canon site and elsewhere for these 2 new (upgraded) models are virtually the same as the previous models. Does anyone know what the differences are?

Stan

Last edited:
. The site claims that they are more energy-efficient. Similar claims have been made in the past. I think it likely that there have been several changes over the years with these two models. But I think it is extremely difficult to tell the difference.
The 8×25 definitely has had a change in the method of stabilisation. I'm not sure whether there have been any changes to the 10×30 and new shape 12×36.

The site also claims that they have doublet field flatteners. Again I'm not sure of this, as I thought that the 10×30 and the 12×36 II had single field flatteners. With the larger models having doublet field flatteners.

So I really don't know about the accuracy of this information.

Features for the 12x36 IS III mention "improved power efficiency and battery function."

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/binoculars/image_stabilizer/12_x_36_is_iii#Features

The power source is 2 Alkaline or NiMh batteries. There is no mention of the use of Lithium batteries.

Here are the features of the older IS II:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/binoculars/image_stabilizer/12_x_36_is_ii#Features

The power source is simply 2 AA batteries but the Overview mentions Lithiums.

It would be an improvement, IMO, if you could lock the IS in with the new model like it works on the 50mm binoculars instead of constantly holding the button down. Nothing like that is mentioned.

The "Overview" paragraph for the IS II also says it has a doublet field flatterner.

No change in price and they weigh the same for all practical purposes.

Bob

Last edited:
I called Canon USA and was told by the agent that the fact sheet e-mail he received on the new 12X36 and 10X30 said the battery life was improved and the image stabilization system was improved. He said there was no mention of lens coating changes.

I also asked if the 10X42 L was discontinued since it did not show up on the index page with other IS models. He said it was not and can be found by doing a search. He did not know why they do not display it. The 10X42 L does show up on the Canon USA Online Store page and is in stock for a mere $1,999 and a refurb is $1,599. Adorama is $1,350 for a new USA sourced model 10X42 L.

Edit: Removed comment.

Last edited:
I have used the 12x36 IIs for years and really like them. They are the glass I usually grab. Their only drawback, for me, is their "close focus" is very poor. I've had to back up at times, and often just carry a different pair when I'm in dense woods. I had hoped they had improved the close focus, but that does not seem to be the case.

Of course the 10x42Ls have excellent close focus, but I found changing focus was far too glacial for my liking. I'd also rather not be carrying such a heavy binocular in the field.

Clear skies, Alan

Last edited:
The power source is 2 Alkaline or NiMh batteries. There is no mention of the use of Lithium batteries.

Here are the features of the older IS II:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/binoculars/image_stabilizer/12_x_36_is_ii#Features

The power source is simply 2 AA batteries but the Overview mentions Lithiums.

I have always used Lithium 2 AA's in my 10 x 30 IS and 12 x 36 IS 11's and never had a problem. Alkalines have a tendency to leak if left in for an extended period.

I agree Scruffie. I also use lithium AA batteries in the Canon image stabilised binoculars. Alkaline batteries can indeed leak if left in for a long time and these cause problems in all sorts of devices.
Some people use Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries, which are supposedly good. I use these in my camera.

What would be a major departure with the new Canon 10×30 and 12×36 image stabilised binoculars, is if they change over to the new system used in the 8×25. I don't know if this is possible.

I have had the 10x30s and currently have the 12x36 v.1 and the 10x42L.

What I hoped for in the new 10x30s was better weather sealing, a bit more ruggedness, better quality control (I had major colimation issues with my 12x36 that Canon refused to acknowledge until I got them formally tested), and a better rainguard for the eyepieces.

They apparently have improved the IS. I see no indication that they made any other changes.

The 12x36 are nice for distant birds, but I find the field of view is too narrow for small birds in close hopping through the tree branches.

The 10x42L have the wide field of view and good IS. However, they are really designed for mariners. I have had to put lens hoods on the end to protect the glass, and replace the rubber eye cups three times and the rubber has disintegrated. Plus they are really heavy -- okay if viewing is critical, but not binos you want to carry around unless you have to.

Last edited:
Just my luck - bought the 12x36 II in April from Amazon. They show the new 12x36 III's but say 'not yet released'. Also, the price shown is $849 instead of the $589 I paid. The II's are now down to $566. I suspect the III's, when available, will drop down to $600 on Amazon.

Of course, I'm a few weeks beyond the 'return window' anyway, so I'll convince myself the II's are better than the III's, right? I'll be pissed if the stabilization is better on the new ones though.

John F

I just bought the 12x36 II too. I don't care about the more power efficiency. If they would change the glass (UD), made a bigger focuser, add twisting clickstop eyeguards, objective covers and filter threads etc, that would be another matter.

Sorry for the offtopic but...

Which type of rechargable batteries do you use for canon is II 12x36?
I tried to insert eneloop XX pro but they are too big to get inside the compartment!!!

Thanks in advance

I have no problem, or need to upgrade, my 12x36 11
optics good, IS good, seem energy efficient

what I would want is waterproofing like the 10x42
and better ergonomics-a big upgrade
but then I could just get the 10x42
or wait for the ergonomics also

edj

I use disposable lithium AA batteries in the Canon IS binoculars.

Oracleman, what is the problem with the Eneloop batteries? Are they too fat or too long?
The pro-batteries are different from the ordinary Eneloop, which now state they can be recharged 1500 times. I use these in my camera.

I presume that you have the batteries the correct way round?

Sorry for the offtopic but...

Which type of rechargable batteries do you use for canon is II 12x36?
I tried to insert eneloop XX pro but they are too big to get inside the compartment!!!

Thanks in advance

Nothing special, just off the shelf Lithiums. Currently using Energizer Ultimate Lithiums because of how they perform in freezing temps.

I use disposable lithium AA batteries in the Canon IS binoculars.

Oracleman, what is the problem with the Eneloop batteries? Are they too fat or too long?
The pro-batteries are different from the ordinary Eneloop, which now state they can be recharged 1500 times. I use these in my camera.

I presume that you have the batteries the correct way round?

The pro versión seems to be a little fat to enter ok on the compartment, maybe I only need disposable batteries but I was worried about duration and $.

Scruffie said:
Nothing special, just off the shelf Lithiums. Currently using Energizer Ultimate Lithiums because of how they perform in freezing temps.

mmmmm maybe I will try them.

Thanks both for the assistence :t:

About the principal topic... a pity Canon does not release a "wide angle" 10x30 or 12x36 :-( It was a good oportunity to upgrade canon is bins near the top .

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back