• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2016 (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

I'm heading into the field early tomorrow morning and out all day, so to make sure everyone has a facility whatever they see in however long a day on the First, I'll kick next year's thread off now.

My New Year plan is bird-orientated but I'm hoping to pick up a few mammals along the way (at any rate more than I saw in the Fens the other day).

Happy New Year everybody!

John

96 birds (missed the century again) - full list on the joint Jan 1 thread. Rabbit the only mammal.

At Beckley Forest we found only a few boar hoofprints and the forest rides have been seriously opened up so there is less cover, and the conifer plantations have new rides through them to similarly reduce any feeling of security within them.

John

Happy New year everyone.

I had a trip to Lakenheath on the 1st, Roe deer and muntjac, Burwell fen for more roe deer and brown hare
On 2nd I went to Minsmere for red deer, grey squirrel, muntjac, rabbit and otter.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_8861.JPG
    DSC_8861.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC_8940.JPG
    DSC_8940.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_8951.JPG
    DSC_8951.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_8994.JPG
    DSC_8994.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_9030.jpg
    DSC_9030.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 158
Well, its going slowly, but it is going..... Grey Squirrel, Red Fox and Roe Deer added to the 1 Jan Rabbit. Happily my foxes seem to be starting to get back to normal, with Black Notch and Double Top turning up together for chicken last night at a sensible time instead of around midnight (or later.) I also had three Red Foxes having a very vocal debate by the car park at work this morning!

Dorset Sunday, hopefully some mammal action down there to report later.

John

Been back in Lithuania for two days now and I'm sitting on a grand total of one mammal - Red Fox. Should climb a little this coming weekend.

Planning a big year in the UK this year John?

Been back in Lithuania for two days now and I'm sitting on a grand total of one mammal - Red Fox. Should climb a little this coming weekend.

Planning a big year in the UK this year John?

No, I'm resting on the laurels of last year's 54 mammals in UK (plus two in the Baltics).

I do have some high points on the way though including a trip to Scotland in March and a non-birding week in Italy later in the spring that I hope will yield a few ticks from both Chordata and Arthropoda. In autumn its round two of John v Shetland rarities.

In between times I shall be trying to fill in digital gaps in various photo lists and twitching anything new I can reasonably get at.

Next winter I hope to be on the spotlight that finds the Lynx.

I don't expect to be bored!

John

I don't actively list mammals but do visit John's mammals threads as a lurker - glad he is back

Had an Otter in the sea off Barns Ness in Lothian today - first I have seen there!

Geoff

Think lots of us lurk and are glad that John is back. Just got a camera trap, will see what that produces...
Friends a few miles away recently had pine marten on theirs.

Rob

Clare and I were out yesterday enjoying the fine weather - at least in the morning....

I had a Red Fox cross the road on my way to pick her up. We started at Blandford Forum looking for Otters. The river was very high, with only a few inches of the seven-foot weir showing as a low blip in the brown rushing current. Clare spotted an Otter after about an hour but I was completely incompetent and managed not to see it at all. I did catch up with Kingfisher and added Grey Squirrel and Rabbit to the day list before we decided to move on.

Up in the New Forest we found cloudy weather but headed off from the Puttles Bridge car park to look for deer. Out on the heath we found a herd of 34 Red Deer including some stags, and a small group of Fallow Deer hurried out of the far woods to take up a position near them. It was apparent from their behaviour and demeanour that disturbance from humans and more worryingly their dogs is a regular problem for the deer. At this point our luck ran out and the rain absolutely hammered down - at one point it was hail! We hid under hollies and firs until it slacked off, then made quickly for the car.

Changing target again we nipped over to Blashford and unashamedly pursued year-tick birds, knocking off the elusive Ferruginous Duck and some Goosanders, plus the adult Ring-billed Gull (with relief now Wally is MIA) and Slav Grebe.

We finished the day out on the open heaths of the North west corner of the Forest, where after we had photographed the iconic ponies, a Peregrine shot up out of the valley in front of us and a few minutes later a gorgeous grey ghost male Hen Harrier floated past for a glorious finale.

John

A few pix from Sunday:

White Fallow doe
Red Deer
Very wet young Red stag
New Forest Ponies - all right, not wild mammals, but nice light.

John

Attachments

• 20160110 (13)_Fallow_Deer (533x800).jpg
    20160110 (13)_Fallow_Deer (533x800).jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 20160110 (17)_Red_and_Fallow_Deer (800x278).jpg
    20160110 (17)_Red_and_Fallow_Deer (800x278).jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 20160110 (20)_Red_Deer (800x800).jpg
    20160110 (20)_Red_Deer (800x800).jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 20160110 (23)_New_Forest_Ponies (800x533).jpg
    20160110 (23)_New_Forest_Ponies (800x533).jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 148
I had to work all weekend but put my Longworth's out and had a nice haul.

5x Harvest Mice
4x Field Voles
1x Common Shrew
1x Wood mouse

More on my Blog as always

Mark

Attachments

• _DSC6639.JPG
    _DSC6639.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 170
  • _DSC6640.JPG
    _DSC6640.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 142
  • _DSC6642.JPG
    _DSC6642.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 173
  • _DSC6644.JPG
    _DSC6644.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 151
Great result - I haven't any small mammals per se at all this year yet!

First photographic encounter with Black Notch this year last night, though.

John

Attachments

• 20160112 (16)_Red_Fox (800x533).jpg
    20160112 (16)_Red_Fox (800x533).jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 160
Golden Jackal spreading west

Thought this report might interest readers of this thread, I spotted it yesterday in the 20 Minutes free daily newspaper in Switzerland:
" A hunter shot a Golden Jackal last weekend, taking the animal for a Red Fox; This error provides the first physical proof of the presence of this species in Switzerland." There's a photo of a G J taken by a camera trap on 27 December 2015 in the same area with the article. It goes on to say : "The first trace of this species in Switzerland dates from winter 2011/12... it's been breeding in Austria and north Italy since 2007. With this recent development, Berne now accords it the status of "protected native species"."
Maybe I'll get one on my Garden List in my part of the Alps in due course (was chuffed to observe 9 Chamois together on the mountain behind our house two days ago, so I can't complain)!

Spent yesterday in West Sussex. The only mammal I saw on the drive down was a Roe Deer crossing the road, only just, in front of me. I was down there to do some hibernaculum bat counts. I was in the group that checked the two disused railway tunnels. The day did not disappoint with 259 bats counted. Most were Natterer's, Daubenton's & Whiskered/Brandt's but there was one other bat, The ♂ GREATER MOUSE-EARDED BAT!!
A great day out!

Simon

Also from yesterday this book was recommended to buy -http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1472922026?refRID=17Z2SM2X9PEY5HPXV5S8&ref_=pd_rhf_pe_p_img_1

Spent yesterday in West Sussex. The only mammal I saw on the drive down was a Roe Deer crossing the road, only just, in front of me. I was down there to do some hibernaculum bat counts. I was in the group that checked the two disused railway tunnels. The day did not disappoint with 259 bats counted. Most were Natterer's, Daubenton's & Whiskered/Brandt's but there was one other bat, The ♂ GREATER MOUSE-EARDED BAT!!
A great day out!

Simon

Well done Simon, time I joined Sussex Bat Group, I keep thinking about it.....

John

" A hunter shot a Golden Jackal last weekend, taking the animal for a Red Fox; This error provides the first physical proof of the presence of this species in Switzerland."

"The first trace of this species in Switzerland dates from winter 2011/12

The 2011/2012 individual was caught on a trip cam put out to monitor Lynx - it is a confirmed Golden Jackal, not a trace.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back