• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2017 (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

Happy New Year when it arrives everyone!

I won't be trying to achieve targets in 2017 (I promised Marion after doing a double of 53 mammals and 304 birds in the British Isles in 2016) but will be trying to get better pictures of some stuff I have had trouble with to date and keeping my usual eye out whenever I'm in the field: additionally there will be Farnborough fox updates when they finish their Christmas sabbatical.

So hopefully plenty going on.

All news, sightings, pictures, queries welcome as usual, not to mention old friends and new posters alike.

While most people will be bird listing on New Year's Day (weather permitting) perhaps those on here would like to see what sort of 1 Jan Mammal list we could come up with? I'm no great data analyst but I'm sure we can come up with something interesting. No domestics though please.

Cheers! B :)

John

Out birding today, weather held off till afternoon and I got 100 species of birds.

Mammals were incidental but included five Roe Deer (2 and 3), Fallow Deer (8) and Grey Squirrels (6).

John

Had a trip up North yesterday for Snow Goose, which eventually obliged. First Red Fox of the year was as we left Farnborough.

A loo stop at Norton Canes services on the M6 toll road gained me another mammal year tick, with a young Brown Rat eating someone's discarded chips in the car park. This is not the first time I've seen Brown Rats there...

Five species, three days in and still no Rabbit. Is this a record?

John

I've only been working (at Mercedes-Benz World) so far this year & have seen 3+ Red Foxes, Grey Squirrel & Rabbit but no sign so far of the resident Roe Deer.

Cheers, Simon

6 species so far the 6th being Rabbit this morning.
Grey Squirrel and brown rat in my garden, Muntjac, Stoat at Lakenheath, roe deer at Burwell.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_1024.JPG
    DSC_1024.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC_1043.JPG
    DSC_1043.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_1365.JPG
    DSC_1365.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 124
Mmmm ... not been listing and whilst bimbling about, so not sure of the dates exactly, but have heard the Wood Mice scratching about in the walls, seen a Rabbit early on, a Fox and a Field Vole. Will make more effort here on in.

Seasons Greetings. ;)

First few beasties of 2017

I managed to pick up Water Vole shortly before Grey Squirrel this year (4th Jan - perks of working in Cambridge where voles seem to be faring pretty well at the moment).

On the 2nd a Brown Hare was a nice first mammal of the year (Reed/Therfield area, north Herts).

Thanks for keeping these threads going - always entertaining and useful :t:

Andy

That's a fantastic trip report. After 3 trips to South Africa I'm still to see Zorilla and several other mammal species you saw. Did you meet Fiona Reid?

Yes we were at Marrick for the 3 days at the same time as Fiona we shared 2 night drives there, she remembers you.

The trip was excellent and we had some luck some good and some bad but still got a good number of species we were after. Will go back again some time.

Thanks for your help and advice in planning the trip.

Thanks

Mark

Sorry for the shockingly bad photo (it was very early) but whilst waiting for the Waxwings to put in an appearance, it was quite amusing to see this little fella c12 feet up the tree feasting on the berries.:-O

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_3606.JPG
    IMG_3606.JPG
    409 KB · Views: 153
Sorry for the shockingly bad photo (it was very early) but whilst waiting for the Waxwings to put in an appearance, it was quite amusing to see this little fella c12 feet up the tree feasting on the berries.:-O

Rich

Brown Rat - they do climb quite a lot. Nice behaviour, good to see one taking natural food!

Double Top checked in last night, first time this year: came for a chicken leg, took it right away and returned in five minutes for another. Still haven't seen Blackie this year yet though.

John

Tons of gray squirrels. Red squirrels sometimes. White tail deer tracks all over my yard after snow over the weekend. Have seen one once in the streetlight. As winter goes on we will start seeing then in the pard during the day.

Last year's cub rocked up again last night, actually it turned up three times over about half an hour. It has a proper white tip to its very long brush so henceforth "White-tip". Still no sign of Blackie since Christmas though.

John

Some terrible visibility at the weekend made photographs difficult but got a couple of species.

Also brown hare today.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_1690.JPG
    DSC_1690.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_1631.jpg
    DSC_1631.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC_1942.JPG
    DSC_1942.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_1929.JPG
    DSC_1929.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_1908.JPG
    DSC_1908.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 158
That last black squirrel is a scorcher! Nice work. Pity about the weather at Woodwalton. Might have a go myself Saturday, thinking about the Surfer in the morning.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back