• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2017 (1 Viewer)

A house mouse in my garage this evening and a fox in the garden, not bad did not even have to leave the house to see mammals.

Mark

Attachments

• hm.jpg
    hm.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 136
Blackie's back! He and Double Top were sitting on the pavement outside the house when I got back from Kent this evening.

I talked to them as I approached, so they didn't run off but just moved aside to let me get in, and closed back in behind me. Blackie ate four drumsticks... at least he didn't try to rob Double Top of hers.

I have a photo, its not the best but it does prove it was him (as if his utterly casual behaviour around me didn't!) Might be a while till I put it up as I had an excellent day's birding at Dunge and Harty, loads to go through.

John

Some terrible visibility at the weekend made photographs difficult but got a couple of species.

Also brown hare today.

Mark

Curious about the black squirrel, are they in England? I'm a Brit relocated to Canada, and we have Grey squirrels which come in grey and black variations, but I'd never come across black ones before moving here. Attached a photo of two of the six youngsters that resided in nearby tree last year. 4 black and 2 grey young.

Mammal list here thus far this year: Eastern Grey Squirrel, Red Squirrel, White-tailed deer, red fox.

Attachments

• 30050737005_41ee9ca85d_z.jpg
    30050737005_41ee9ca85d_z.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 136
Curious about the black squirrel, are they in England? I'm a Brit relocated to Canada, and we have Grey squirrels which come in grey and black variations, but I'd never come across black ones before moving here. Attached a photo of two of the six youngsters that resided in nearby tree last year. 4 black and 2 grey young.

Mammal list here thus far this year: Eastern Grey Squirrel, Red Squirrel, White-tailed deer, red fox.

I had never seen a black grey squirrel until visiting Ontario. Here in New England, it's just the grey/brown ones we see.

I'm seeing the deer most nights now in the yard. Accidentally spooked about 6 of them last night while they wre chomping on my scrubs by the front walk. They were big. Glad they went off at an angle. Getting in front of a runnung deer would not be good.

Last edited:

People who have lived for periods in Washington DC tell me you get Black Eastern Gray Squirrels on one side of the Potomac and not the other. Whether that's the dividing line I dunno.

In England they are found in a belt from (certainly) Little Brickhill on the Bucks/Beds border to Cambridge.

I have heard that the Black variants out-compete ordinary Grays sexually and are spreading but I have no actual survey evidence of that either here or in North America. Mark might, he is part of the Cambs Mammal Group.

John

People who have lived for periods in Washington DC tell me you get Black Eastern Gray Squirrels on one side of the Potomac and not the other. Whether that's the dividing line I dunno.

In England they are found in a belt from (certainly) Little Brickhill on the Bucks/Beds border to Cambridge.

I have heard that the Black variants out-compete ordinary Grays sexually and are spreading but I have no actual survey evidence of that either here or in North America. Mark might, he is part of the Cambs Mammal Group.

John

The blacks do seem to be expanding their range but quite slowly.

Mark

Just back from a work trip to N Sweden & happy to say that I saw 5 Moose (1 female with 2 young, 1 lone female & 1 immature male). Didn't see any Reindeer that had been seen a few days before my arrival.

Cheers, Simon

Just back from a work trip to N Sweden & happy to say that I saw 5 Moose (1 female with 2 young, 1 lone female & 1 immature male). Didn't see any Reindeer that had been seen a few days before my arrival.

Cheers, Simon

Good score even without Reindeer: my brother used to go on regular work trips to Sweden and never saw a Moose/Elk, he swore they didn't exist!

John

Good score even without Reindeer: my brother used to go on regular work trips to Sweden and never saw a Moose/Elk, he swore they didn't exist!

John

I'm sure they don't. Seven years in Canada, and zero moose sightings yet. I have a friend who sees them every time she drives East, and has even seen an albino group too. I've seen hoofprints, but am beginning to think that was a set up!

A heads up for anyone who may be near Rainham Marshes.

I saw this posted on the Friends of RSPB Rainham Marshes FaceBook page - I found a stoat in almost full ermine form, just parts of the face which hadn't turned white. It was last Saturday at the western end of the northern trail. No picture (no camera!) - oh well.

Cheers, Simon

Carrin had to shoo this guy out of the front door this morning - he got his front paws on the door mat, before retreating to the front yard.

It was interesting that our male cat showed no fear of the Fox with the two looking at each other just a few feet apart.

Phil

Attachments

• Foxemail.JPG
    Foxemail.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 135
Carrin had to shoo this guy out of the front door this morning - he got his front paws on the door mat, before retreating to the front yard.

It was interesting that our male cat showed no fear of the Fox with the two looking at each other just a few feet apart.

Phil

Wasn't in a hurry to go, was he? Fine looking animal.

My local cats and foxes act entirely indifferent to each other. I suspect even with most cats a bit smaller than most foxes, the extra pointy bits on the cats even the risk assessments on each side.

John

Wasn't in a hurry to go, was he? Fine looking animal.

My local cats and foxes act entirely indifferent to each other. I suspect even with most cats a bit smaller than most foxes, the extra pointy bits on the cats even the risk assessments on each side.

John

Thanks for the comments John. In the end we gave him some cat food and a lump of cheese. Best not to tell the neighbours we think.

My first day out for a couple of weeks yesterday (been laid up with the awful cold/cough that's going around) and a visit to Stour Meadows at Blandford Forum for Otters.

I missed the early show (as Mark Hows informed me) due to a late start due to my dear brother getting back from a social evening at 0100, extending our babysitting of Max. At that point I was not best pleased with the results of his self-indulgence.

The Otters had gone downstream and I judged it a fair bet they would come back up at some point, so I amused myself with Kingfishers and the other avian denizens of the river until the resident adult female Otter with her two practically fully grown kits from last year returned upstream briefly, fishing on the long straight reach for a few minutes then again setting off downstream.

Stick it out or not? I decided I wanted more and better, and took the opportunity of knowing where they were for a while to grab a cup of tea before getting to grips with the Kingfishers properly and then working my way down the riverbank to resume surveillance from a handy bench (getting old, feel it after this flu thing, anyway!)

After midday the Otters came up again, and this time they had a serious fishing session right by the black bridge, sun out, good light from behind me, great views, fantastic!

They went round the back of the island to reappear in the pool below the weir, where they sported for a few minutes before galloping up the side and disappearing upstream. Someone was throwing balls into the pool for their dog but called it out when I shouted to them to desist as the Otters were coming through. I did apologise for my brusqueness but they were perfectly OK and in fact thanked me for the heads up as they simply hadn't noticed the small heads in the foamy water. A local PCSO who had been managing to miss the Otters on every visit was also grateful for finally getting the tick.

Mid afternoon having added Grey Squirrel to the day tally I moved up to Wyke Down where the raptors really didn't perform, (just Buzzards and Red Kites, and those distant) but it was nice to see Corn Buntings and small groups of Roe Deer. Seven in the largest but a couple of sixes as well: they seem to do this group thing more in the fairly open downland, round us a "group" equals two or three. My first Brown Hares of the year were also loping about in the fields, becoming more conspicuous towards evening.

Its an easy run home from there at this time of year and I was indoors by 1830. White-tip turned up for chicken but had to grab it and run as his visit coincided with a neighbour letting their fat Corgi out.

Pix later, maybe today if I have time.

John

As John mentioned I took in the early show in beautiful morning light. There were three otters two large cubs and their mother. Looking at their size and the fact they can feed independently they must be almost ready to split up soon. After meeting John I headed to Arne RSPB hell, here every grockle who had watched Winterwatch had decided to visit and none of them thought to be quiet. I left quickly after seeing some Sika and did some quiet birding.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_2754.jpg
    DSC_2754.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_2812.jpg
    DSC_2812.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC_2823.jpg
    DSC_2823.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_3054.jpg
    DSC_3054.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 110
Nothing of any interest, but I did see a Mink (all dark Mustelid with furry tail), lazily run across the road in front of the car the other day when approaching Woodhall Spa. Talking to a local birder, he said that there are a fair number about in Lincolnshire. Mammal year tick I suppose.

Nothing of any interest, but I did see a Mink (all dark Mustelid with furry tail), lazily run across the road in front of the car the other day when approaching Woodhall Spa. Talking to a local birder, he said that there are a fair number about in Lincolnshire. Mammal year tick I suppose.

They're pretty difficult around here these days, which I suppose is a good thing. Perhaps quite a lucky sighting!

John

Pictures from Saturday.

John

Kingfisher
Otter X 4

Attachments

• 20170128 (19)_Kingfisher.JPG
    20170128 (19)_Kingfisher.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 20170128 (24)_Otter.JPG
    20170128 (24)_Otter.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 20170128 (33)_Otter.JPG
    20170128 (33)_Otter.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 20170128 (36)_Otter.JPG
    20170128 (36)_Otter.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 20170128 (42)_Otter.JPG
    20170128 (42)_Otter.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 110
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back