• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2017 List Going? (3 Viewers)

97. Eurasian Pygmy Owl
98. Arctic Redpoll
99. Smew
100. Red-breasted Merganser
101. Black Woodpecker

More today in Sweden

A nice surprise when four Tundra Bean Geese where reported only a few miles away at Seeswood Pool, Nuneaton.

121. Tundra Bean Geese

199. Eurasian Collared-Dove
200. Red-shouldered Hawk
201. Hermit Thrush
202. Nuttall's Woodpecker
203. Cedar Waxwing
204. Oak Titmouse

I am away for a few more days. I started in Derbyshire on Sunday. Into Lincolnshire early on Monday day and I parked up near Titchwell. New birds on this trip so far were:-

122. Dusky Thrush
123. Peregrine
124. Whooper Swan
125. White-billed Diver
126. Kingfisher
127. Ring-necked Duck
128. Red-legged Partridge
129. Water Rail
130. Sanderling
131. Pintail
132. Pink-footed Goose

Not such a good day yesterday, although I did see a surprise Rough-legged Buzzard but missed all my target birds. Birds seen today were:-

133. Rough-legged Buzzard
134. Fulmar
135. Stock Dove
136. Grey Partridge
137. White-fronted Goose
138. Egyptian Goose

Last edited:
75 mourning dove
76 rock dove
77 red-winged blackbird
78 cedar waxwing
79 Ross's goose
80 horned lark

Last edited:
A few more today. They were:-

139. Bittern
140. Merlin
141. Siskin
142. Marsh Tit
143. Common Crane
144. Bewick Swan
145. Barn Owl

On my way home from work this afternoon I noticed a large flock of birds in a tree, which turned out to be new for the year.

83. Cedar Waxwing

Dave

Today I made the long trip to the Ohio River which forms the western border of West Virginia. I had eight targets, birds that have been reported over the last few days and which are hard to find in my part of the state. I found six of the eight targets, which is pretty good odds. In addition, I found one bird (egret) which shouldn't be here at this time of the year.

84. Double-crested Cormorant
85. Canvasback
86. Herring Gull
87. Long-tailed Duck
88. Surf Scoter
89. Mute Swan
90. Great Egret

Dave

Last edited:
A few quick stops in between morning errands:
208. American Wigeon
209. Northern Pintail
210. Cinnamon Teal
211. Osprey
212. Northern Shoveler
213. Eared Grebe
214. Killdeer
215. Black-necked Stilt
216. Western Grebe
217. American Goldfinch
218. Merlin
219. Egyptian Goose
220. Say’s Phoebe
221. Chipping Sparrow
222. Mandarin Duck (lifer)

My 2017 list is a bit behind last years list. At February 06, 2016 I tallied 62 species which included one lifer, a Great Kiskadee (Pitangus sulphuratus) compared with 58 and no lifers in 2017. I also decided last week to do a photographic big year for Barbados. Check out both list here and here of big year

Rather late getting on the train here, I just decided that I'd better start another "running total" list to encourage myself to get out on the trails more.

Yesterday (Sunday, Feb. 05) I went running down to Victoria park, in the middle of my home town of Kitchener, Ontario. It seemed like it was going to be a very blah birding excursion at first (saw about 68 Mallards, and that was all, in the park). But I on the way home, I came across a tree full of American Robins - started counting them, got to about 30 - and then saw another tree with a few in it, and then another! All told, there must have been 50 robins at a minimum, but I suspect I was being very conservative.

A few robins in S. Ontario in winter are not at all unusual, but large flocks on downtown trails are! I think they must be running out of grapes and other wild fruit in the forests, and are roaming around town now, just looking for anything at all to eat.

Sunday, Feb. 05:

1) Mallard
2) Black-capped Chickadee
3) House Sparrow
4) Mourning Dove
5) American Robin
6) American Crow

Today I drove ten hours round-trip to eastern Pennsylvania to chase a report of a Black-backed Oriole which has been coming to a feeder. The species is a Mexican endemic and represents a potential first record for the ABA Area (pending acceptance by the Pennsylvania checklist committee and then the ABA checklist committee). I saw my target almost as soon as I arrived on the scene. Since I've never birded Mexico, it was obviously a lifer.

92. Black-backed Oriole

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back