• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fixed eyepiece for HR 80 GA ED (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Stewart

I have an Opticron HR 80 GA ED, and it came with an SDL/2 eyepiece. I wear spectacles nearly all of the time, and I'm wondering whether a fixed eyepiece, such as the 40831, might be better. Zooming in rarely gives me much improvement. Anyone with direct experience of the 40831 and HR 80 GA ED, who can comment?

I also have an SDL eyepiece, first version, but that isn't fully compatible with the HR 80 GA ED - it no longer focuses on objects a long way off with that fitted. The eyepiece works nicely with a much older HR60 'scope.

I had a HR80 with the SDL zoom and 40810 and 40809 eps, the 40809 has been replaced with the 40831.
They were both excellent , I still have the 40809 which I use on my Pentax scopes, the 40809 is a really good ep..
I prefer fixed to zooms though mainly for the wider fov.

Malcolm - you are very welcome to visit and test as many eyepieces as you wish!

Please bring all your kit as they original SDL *should* work fine on your scope. One of our service people can check everything out for you to find out where the issue lies.

Cheers, Pete

Malcolm I hope you don't mind me hopping onto the thread.....

I am looking for a zoom EP for my Opticron HR 66 GA ED. Going in the opposite direction to yourself, I have a fixed ep but prefer a zoom one.

If you decide to sell yours I may be interested in buying it. Just a thought.

Many thanks to Pete Gamby for his help, and to chordstrummer for his input.
Unfortunately, I'm going to be otherwise engaged for the next few weeks (family hospital issues), and so telescope eyepieces are off the radar for a month or two.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back