• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeder visited bt a Bear (1 Viewer)

dwolf

Birdman of Plaza
We are heartbroken... We have two feeders in our kitchen window. It gives us so much joy. Last night after dark we witnessed a bear attempt to pull the feeders down. He/She broke the catch trays, took the suet and bent the hook. This morning it was sad to see all our feathered friends show up to NOTHING !!! Now I realize a lot of bird lovers take them down in the spring and summer so they too all miss out of the warm weather joy of seeing the birds and what new types appear. Everything I read said, time to take them down. We have a fenced in yard for our dog which keeps the dog in but not the bear out so his safety is a huge concern. He's a Golden and I'm not sure what he would do if he saw it. I know the bear would run but would the dog too ?? That I hope we don't find out.

One thing I read that some do is put the feeders up during the day and take them down at night. That would give us joy but with all the seed droppings I don't know if we are looking for trouble ??

Another thought was to do the daytime thing but move the feeders outside the fenced in yard...

Any thoughts ?

Joel

We are heartbroken... We have two feeders in our kitchen window. It gives us so much joy. Last night after dark we witnessed a bear attempt to pull the feeders down. He/She broke the catch trays, took the suet and bent the hook. This morning it was sad to see all our feathered friends show up to NOTHING !!! Now I realize a lot of bird lovers take them down in the spring and summer so they too all miss out of the warm weather joy of seeing the birds and what new types appear. Everything I read said, time to take them down. We have a fenced in yard for our dog which keeps the dog in but not the bear out so his safety is a huge concern. He's a Golden and I'm not sure what he would do if he saw it. I know the bear would run but would the dog too ?? That I hope we don't find out.

One thing I read that some do is put the feeders up during the day and take them down at night. That would give us joy but with all the seed droppings I don't know if we are looking for trouble ??

Another thought was to do the daytime thing but move the feeders outside the fenced in yard...

Any thoughts ?

Joel

Speaking as a resident of a country not blessed with bears, I'm inclined to recommend taking up bear watching, but I recognise and accept your concerns. Hopefully some of your countrymen will have suggestions but it sounds like taking the summer off from feeding is the right thing.

John

My thoughts are to take the feeders down at night, but Bears may learn to come during the day I suppose.
I had a similar situation, except for the Bears. I have a feeder hidden in the woods near my house where I go birding almost daily.
That feeder kept getting raided at night and during the day by Squirrels, Raccoons and Rats.

I solved my problem by using a "Lifelong Feeder" they are great and although I wouldn't say they are Bear proof they are really heavy duty. And if you take them down at night it might help or fix your situation.

Here is a link:
http://lifelongfeeders.com/

I use the optional Stainless steel hose clamp and quicklink they sell to attach it to a tree branch and I also use the Perch.
Bird love it and they are the only thing that can get to the Suet.

Plenty of teeth marks on the outside the feeder from attempts but the just cant get to it. Hope this helps |=)|

Although living in Germany and having no bears in my backyard or in the woods surrounding hour home I am very interested in bears and their behaviour. To get some more informations I a read almost everything about bears I can get my hand on. I would recommend to you this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Living-Bears-Practical-Guide-Country/dp/0977372405

It's nicely written and very informative and will give you lots of hints and informations about your furry neighbors.

We live in the mountains in bear country, and have to take all feeders down every night during spring (when yearling bears are trying to find food, and again in the fall when all bears are trying to gain weight for winter nap). It’s kind of a hassle, but better than finding damaged and ruined feeders in the morning.

Even if you take down the feeders at night, there is no guarantee they won't visit in the daytime, particularly just before hibernation season where they are building up their fat reserve. I might suggest considering finding ways to suspend feeders in such a way that bears cannot reach them, which of course might in turn require buying different types from those you like. Anyway, here in Canada I believe most people with bear issues do sometimes take them in at night but most often take them down completely in the fall until the bears are safely asleep for the winter.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back