• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My life list (1 Viewer)

June 18, 2009 in the Gulf of Mexico about 10 miles west of the southwest pass of the Mississippi River delta
217. Magnificent Frigatebird

Attachments

• P6180157dev.jpg
    P6180157dev.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 92
  • P6180170dev.jpg
    P6180170dev.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
November 7th at the Yellow Rails and Rice Festival in Thornwell, LA:
218. Virginia Rail
219. Sora
220. Yellow Rail :D

Last edited:
How was the festival?...any festival with the possibility of Yellow Rail is something worth considering for the future...

It was fun! I'm definitely going again next year. I didn't ride on one of the combines, but from the other participants it sounded like fun. I don't think I'm brave enough to try it myself though. I think I'll stick to watching from the sidelines. The cattle egrets sure were brave landing right in front of the combine to catch bugs disturbed by it. I was sure I would see one get chopped into little birdy pieces but they always flew/hopped a couple feet ahead to stay out of the way of the whirling blades.

The hordes of shorebirds and ducks in the shallow ponds nearby reminded me how much I really need to get a scope. I did get to see 3 immature bald eagles going after them though. Quite a show! One caught something, but I was too far to see what it was. The other two saw and wanted their share!

Today, November 28 in Baton Rouge, LA:
221. Dark-eyed Junco

Attachments

• PB270130cpsm2.jpg
    PB270130cpsm2.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Been a long time seen I've added a lifer. My health has not been well. Haven't been birding much. Today, May 1, 2011, I went to Watson Rare Native Plant Preserve near Warren, TX and finally saw (not just heard) the adorable:

222. Brown-headed Nuthatch

Last edited:
On Friday, December 9, while out scouting my section of the circle for the CBC for next week's count, I saw:

West Livingston, Texas
223. Brown Creeper

Last edited:
On Saturday, January 7 while visiting Watson Rare Native Plant Preserve (near Warren, TX), one of our group pointed out what looked like a pine cone being mobbed by Brown-headed Nuthatches, but from a better angle we could clearly see it was an

224. Eastern Screech Owl

Attachments

• P1070009cpsm.jpg
    P1070009cpsm.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 66
  • P1070010cpsm.jpg
    P1070010cpsm.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 63
  • P1070011cpsm.jpg
    P1070011cpsm.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
At the Lake Livingston State Park in Livingston, Texas while counting for the GBBC on February 19, 2012 I saw:

225. Lesser Black-backed Gull

Last edited:
April 20 at Lake Livingston State Park, Texas. Didn't get a good look. The lighting was bad, but the song was unmistakable. Glad I'd been studying my Stokes CDs the day before. :)

226. Warbling Vireo

Last edited:
Seen today, November 8th, at Lake Livingston State Park in Livingston, Texas.

227. Red-breasted Nuthatch

Last edited:
Seen today, at Impala Woods Park in Onalaska, TX:

228. American Widgeon

Attachments

• PB250016sm.jpg
    PB250016sm.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 114
  • PB250017sm.jpg
    PB250017sm.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 127
  • PB250018sm.jpg
    PB250018sm.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Seen yesterday, December 8th, in Tigerville Park, Livingston, TX.

229. Horned Grebe

Last edited:
First lifer of the new year! Seen today, January 20, in Onalaska, TX:

230. Pine Siskin

Last edited:
My dad, who's not much of a birder, has picked on me because he saw one before me. Finally today I add to my list:

231. Greater Roadrunner

It crossed the road right in front of the car soon before my mom and I pulled into Onalaska City Park (Onalaska, Texas). We both cheered with the excitement. Then I looked at the clock to note the time and said we start our list with a roadrunner! We recently starting listing on eBird.

Last edited:
Today at the private park for my subdivision in Onalaska, TX (Lake Livingston)

233. Wilson's Phalarope

Attachments

• P5080018sm.jpg
    P5080018sm.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Still haven't been able to make a trip any further than Lake Livingston State Park (about 20 min away). But apparently I don't have to leave my hometown to get lifers! Exactly a week ago I got a Wilson's Phalarope just a few blocks down from my house. This evening I was leaving my parents' house (a couple miles from mine) and heard/saw:

234. Chuck-will's-widow

As soon as I stepped out the door I heard a distinctive call than I knew from previously listening to recordings had to be some sort of nightjar. I stepped back in briefly and waved my mom to come outside with me. I have some bird songs on my cell phone. I pulled up my first guess, Whip-poor-will. Didn't sound quite right and no response from the bird. So then I tried Chuck Will's Widow. This one sounded right. The bird flew across the yard to another tree and responded with a wukrr wukrr-wukrr. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back