• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Farne Islands (1 Viewer)

Silvershark

Returned to the Farne Islands on Sunday (great place to visit) hoping to take another trip there in July depending on circumstances. Had a great time watching the birds - especially watching the male shags collecting presents for their mates. One male saw a kittiwake feather land on the rocks and rushed over to grab it looking so proud as he strutted away to present it to his mate!

Tooks lots of photos that you can see here - http://ktsilvershark.googlepages.com/farneislands - my favourite is that little wagtail strutting his stuff o:)

Hi Kat.

I have to say it again, what stunning photos. What equipment do you have? Whatever it is it works wonderfully. Keep them coming, they are a delight to see.

All the best.
Baz.

Thank you

Canon S2 IS camera, I can take great shots without having to drag around big heavy equipment so works great for me lol

What wonderful photos Kat :clap:

Neil and I are planning to get across to the Farnes next week when we are both on holiday. Hope I see a baby Shag...the one in your pic looks like a wee Pterodactyl! :'D So sweet!

Seahouses is just eight miles or so from where we live so there's no excuse to not go!!!

However - embarrassing confession time - I've been birding seriously since the early 80's and have yet to visit the Farnes!!! Every year I say I'll pop over and then leave it too late....so this year we ARE going! :'D
You see the Farnes so many times on tv and Neil has got to saying ''Oh no, not the Farnes again - they're boring'' but I'll bet he is blown away by it all next week! ;)
I can't wait - I love going out on boats as there's always that little niggle of excitement inside you as you are never sure exactly what will turn up!

Gill Osborne said:
What wonderful photos Kat :clap:

Neil and I are planning to get across to the Farnes next week when we are both on holiday. Hope I see a baby Shag...the one in your pic looks like a wee Pterodactyl! :'D So sweet!

Seahouses is just eight miles or so from where we live so there's no excuse to not go!!!

However - embarrassing confession time - I've been birding seriously since the early 80's and have yet to visit the Farnes!!! Every year I say I'll pop over and then leave it too late....so this year we ARE going! :'D
You see the Farnes so many times on tv and Neil has got to saying ''Oh no, not the Farnes again - they're boring'' but I'll bet he is blown away by it all next week! ;)
I can't wait - I love going out on boats as there's always that little niggle of excitement inside you as you are never sure exactly what will turn up!

You're guarunteed to see a baby shag there are babies right near the path ;) I'm just uploading a video I made of the shag chicks right now, its 80+MB so taking a while to upload!

Great place though I have to admit it was better visiting in July than June - most of the eggs had hatched then and there were loads of chicks around! Still a great place to visit though.

Have fun getting your head pecked off by the terns! o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back