• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (45 Viewers)

ID features of Temmincks

Features include
white spots at base of bill
long attenuated rear end
full pectoral breast band sweeping up at shoulder, this gives it the similar appearance of the 'bibbed' effect of a common sandpiper.
darker central crown.
whitish edging to grey/brown covers and scapulars and tertials - indicative of a juvenile.
slightly de-curved shortish bill tapering to a fine tip.
yellow legs

pic 5
teal bathing in feathers

Attachments

• 7DSCF2502 (2).JPG
    7DSCF2502 (2).JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 8DSCF2506 (2).JPG
    8DSCF2506 (2).JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 9DSCF2516 (2).JPG
    9DSCF2516 (2).JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 10 gud front on white spots base of billDSCF2534 (2).JPG
    10 gud front on white spots base of billDSCF2534 (2).JPG
    343 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I arrived at the Flashes just after 9 o'clock this morning, having had an unsuccessful attempt to refind the Night Heron at Hawford en route. On entering the West Hide I met Alan H, who informed me that there were 3 Ringed Plover and a Dunlin on view. I quickly found these birds plus a Green Sandpiper and good numbers of Snipe and Shoveler. Alan eventually left to go over to the Moors Pool.

At around about 11.15 I was scanning the mud in front of the reed bed on the far side, watching a couple of Sedge Warblers flitting between the reeds and the ground, when I suddenly became aware of another small bird feeding on the mud.

The way that the bird was feeding and its general jizz suggested that it was a wader. Initially I thought it may have been the Dunlin I had seen earlier. However, with my scope zoomed in to the maximum I could see that this was no Dunlin.

The bird in question gave the impression of a very small Common Sandpiper, with a long body and small white divide between the wing and breast. My thoughts turned immediately towards Temminck's Stint. The one thing that bothered me was the colour of the legs which looked dark at that distance and in the gloomy light prevalent at the time.

I rang John B (Upstarts) with my observations of the bird. John said that he would ring Dave W (Woodchat), who was not working today, and get him to come along and have a look. He also rang Alan H to get him back over to the Flashes.

By the time Alan & Dave arrived I had lost the bird. This had happened a couple of times before; the bird having flown and, due to its small size and colour, being difficult to relocate. Thankfully Alan H found the bird again close to the spot where I had initially seen it.

Like myself Dave had concerns about the leg colour, suggesting perhaps that we might consider Baird's Sandpiper. Thankfully the bird did come closer to us and, with the light also improving, we could see that the legs showed a lighter hue to them than we had initially observed. We now had enough visible characteristics to nail the id of the bird: it was indeed a Temminck's Stint.

Some great shots from Dave and John of the bird, and a couple of belters from Vern, have absolutely reinforced my initial thoughts as to what I was looking at.

My thanks to Dave, Alan and John in helping to positively identify this beautiful but somewhat challenging little bird. I hope it stays around long enough so that all the Upton Warren regulars can feast their eyes upon it.

Andy P.

Nice write up Andy, payback for the many early mornings and indeed long hours over the last few months you have put in. You did well, to even see a bird that small in the far corner of the 2nd Flash and I know how poor the light can be in the mornings. Lets hope this is a starter to a more productive Autumn than of late. I'm pretty sure Vern has nailed a good photo for you.B :)

Wednesday 17th September 0900-1215

MOORS POOL
2+ Little Egret, 4 Grey Heron, 5 Cormorant, 4 Wigeon, c50 Mallard, 23 Teal, 12 Shoveler, 10 Tufted Duck, 9 Canada Geese, 2 adult + 6 juv Mute Swan, 2 adult + 3 juv GC Grebe, 11 Little Grebe, 234 Coot, 10 Moorhen, Water Rail, 11 Lapwing, 2 Snipe, c300 BH Gull, 8 LBB Gull, 2 Grey Wagtail, Swallow, 4 singing Cetti's Warblers, 2 Kingfisher, Meadow Pipit over

The Otter swam from the eastern shore to the sluice area on the weatern sise around 09:55 and completed the return journey about 20 minutes later. Although not seen it was present on the eastern side earlier in the morning, betrayed by the rapid skating of the Coot and an angry flock of mobbing BHGs.

SAILING POOL
1 adult + 1 juvenile GC Grebe, 8 Coot, Grey Wagtail

FLASHES
Temminck's Stint juv, 2 Ruff, 2 Dunlin, 3 Ringed Plover, 2 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper, 68 Lapwing, 5 Snipe, 4 Golden Plover over as per Vern, 1 Little Grebe, 56 Shoveler, 65+ Teal, c40 Mallard, 10 Coot, 50 Moorhen, Water Rail, 1 LBB Gull, injured BH Gull on foreshore still clinging to life, Sedge Warbler, 2 Raven

Last edited:
MOORS POOL
2+ Little Egret, 4 Grey Heron, 5 Cormorant, 4 Wigeon, c50 Mallard, 23 Teal, 12 Shoveler, 10 Tufted Duck, 9 Canada Geese, 2 adult + 6 juv Mute Swan, 2 adult + 3 juv GC Grebe, 11 Little Grebe, 234 Coot, 10 Moorhen, Water Rail, 11 Lapwing, 2 Snipe, c300 BH Gull, 8 LBB Gull, 2 Grey Wagtail, Swallow, 4 singing Cetti's Warblers, 2 Kingfisher, Meadow Pipit over

SAILING POOL
1 adult + 1 juvenile GC Grebe, 8 Coot, Grey Wagtail

FLASHES
Temminck's Stint juv, 2 Ruff, 2 Dunlin, 3 Ringed Plover, 2 Green Sandpiper, 1 Common Sandpiper, 68 Lapwing, 5 Snipe, 4 Golden Plover over as per Vern, 1 Little Grebe, 56 Shoveler, 65+ Teal, c40 Mallard, 10 Coot, 50 Moorhen, Water Rail, 1 LBB Gull, injured BH Gull on foreshore still clinging to life, Sedge Warbler, 2 Raven

Almost like the old days this afternoon great variety of waders seen in good light and good supporting cast on both flashes and moors B :)

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Ruff (2)------------------Temminck's Stint (still present at 19.00)
Ringed Plover (3)-------Common Sand
Green Sand (3)---------Snipe(15)
Curlew (19)-------------Lapwing (c130)
Dunlin(2)----------------Sedge Warbler (3)
Grey Wagtail------------Reed Warbler (2) along path to hide.
Kestrel-------------------Raven (2)
Kingfisher (2)-----------B H Gull (c500)
Shoveler (c50)----------Teal (c130)

MOORS:
Little Egret (3)----------Wigeon (5)
Sedge Warbler----------Whitethroat
Cetti's Warbler (3)------Kingfisher (2)
Cormorant (8)-----------Coot (c120)
Water Rail----------------B H Gull (c300)

SAILING POOL:
Grey Wagtail (2)

Des.

Today the depleted(sickness and hospital appointments basically old age8-P, oh and some are working) crew of 10 cleared the channels in front of the concrete(water rail) hide.
Rationale: To improve views of kingfisher, water rail, little grebe etc and also provide suitable habitat for snipe and spotted crake :smoke: left hand channel.

photos 1 and 2 are before the work
3,4 and 5 after the work
The now wider left channel was heavily raked, resulting in a attractive patch of mud. Keep an eye open for that small, short billed water rail.;)

Great work it looks alot better and looks like we should get a better view of the wildlife. I noticed that on Monday the kingfisher was on the posts in front of the hide and then kept flying behind them, but I couldn't see them due to the reeds.
Has anyone been today to see if the kingfisher has returned to the posts in front of the hide, or has the work scared them off for a while ?
I am hoping to visit again on Friday, I have the Upton bug now !! :)

As soon as I heard that the Temminck's Stint was still present this morning I headed off to UW, hoping to get some record shots at least of the bird. Due to the distance between the bird and the hide and the murky light conditions I had failed to get a single shot on Monday morning. Thankfully the bird came quite close to the hide this morning, which enabled me to see the pale fringes and dark subterminal line on the scapulars and wing-coverts; further features denoting the bird as a juvenile.

The relative proximity of the bird and the better light conditions also allowed me to take some shots, 3 of which are attached below:

Attachments

• TemmincksUW1.jpg
    TemmincksUW1.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 147
  • TemmincksUW2.jpg
    TemmincksUW2.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 125
  • TemmincksUW3.jpg
    TemmincksUW3.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 121
Recommend having a look at `Birdguide webzine` then click on `Review of the week, 10-16 Sept` where the Upton Temmincks Stint has a mention together with a cracking photo of it by our illustrious Vern. There are also many other great photos. Enjoy

Dick

Stint reported as still present today

Also present today:

Flashes - Ruff, 2 Ringed Plover, 2 Dunlin and 3 Green Sandpipers (Dave J) with Little Egret and Raven over (Neil Duggan)
Moors Pool - 4 Little Egrets, 4 Wigeon. Heading south: 18 House Martin and 2 Swallow (Dave J)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back