• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 20x60T S (1 Viewer)

eddy the eagle

Has anyone had a look through these.I had a brief look yesterday when a fellow migration watcher allowed me to view the black Kite with these amazing binos.He had them fitted to a monopod so I don't know how the weight was but the view was very magnified and sharp.However they were not as bright as my 10x42 HT's and at 6000 euros I think I will pass.Anyone else have these and like to comment.....Eddy

I never looked through one, but they are legendary. There also exisits a monocular version, but this is not sold any more. I would love this, sounds like the perfect travel scope.

The 20x60S is nice. I don't own one but know it quite well because a friend has got one. Very nice as a second binocular, you wouldn't really want to use it as your main binocular. Pretty heavy, perhaps best used on a monopod. The optics are very good, even though not quite up to the standard of a modern scope at 20x. The mechanical stabilizer works flawlessly. Even with the 20x60S mounted on a light tripod the image becomes much better when you push the button - the stabilizer eliminates all those tiny vribrations very effectively.

I've got the 20x20S Mono. Lighter than the 20x60S, similar optics (perhaps even a bit better), the same stabilizer. I really like it, it's a great choice when you don't really fancy carrying a scope+tripod of any sort but don't want to be without access to higher magnifications. I've even used it with the Zeiss 3x12 on some occasions. At 60x the image becomes dark and a bit fuzzy, but it's still useable for a quick ID.

Both the 20x20S and the 20x60S Mono are a bit delicate because of the mechanical stabilizer. I dropped my 20x60S Mono once, that was a pretty expensive mishap. But if you don't drop it and handle it with some care it will last many, many years. I know someone who has used his 20x60S for well over 15 years with no problems whatsoever.

Hermann

Last edited:
we have had several threats here and CloudyNights on the 20x60s
those who are lucky enough to have one are very, very, pleased with them
unfortunately the price make ownership very limited

edj

I too am trying to justify this purchase, so I'm cruising buyer's on-line reviews, and I found an incredibly heart felt endorsement posted on Christmas 2012 of this great set of binos. I just had to share:

5.0 out of 5 stars stalker proof, December 25, 2012
By baks -

I have been having problems with the restraining order my ex girlfriend had on me so i decided to pick up 3 extra jobs to be able to afford this Gem. Needless to say that i am extremely impressed with the clarity and function this product offers. I was able to stalk my Ex from 500yards away with no issue. She had no idea that i was even there and the clarity of the optic was able to catch the smoothness of her milky pale skin. Unfortunately, opossums took over the tree that i use to watch her so i will have to find a good strategic location for my camp. Wish me luck guys!

Baks has since had his medication adjusted.

Last edited:
. Perhaps if he sent her a dozen red roses every day it would be cheaper and she might come back.

If not, he should spend the money on wining and dining a new girl.

Anyway a small spotting scope would have done the job just as well and he could have attached it to one of the tree branches. At most it would cost a quarter of the price of the Zeiss binocular.

Also at 500 yards I don't think the 20 times binocular has enough magnification to see the clarity of her skin.
He would do better buying a Questar.

Actually, I can attest to the fact that a good 150 mm Maksutov Astro scope is superbly up to the job at 500 yards.
But this might be a bit large to carry up a tree.
The 127 mm skywatcher Maksutov in the UK would be almost as good and is considerably smaller and lighter.
In the USA similar models are sold by Celestron etc.
They are one 10th the price of the Zeiss binocular.

Recommended magnification 95× for the 150 mm scope.
80× for the 127 mm version.
This is for good daylight.

Last edited:
. There is not much of a dew shield as is.
But these are easily available as extras or you can just wrap some black flexible material around the end.
I have this scope and it is pretty good at high or low magnification, but these types of telescope don't lend themselves to very low magnifications as they are very long focal length instruments.
they can also be used as very good tele lenses for photography and they are pretty low price for what you get.
they also make excellent terrestrial scopes.
I use mine on a heavy duty photographic tripod but you can get them on the AZ3 or the AZ4 Mount or an equatorial mount with or without drives and also with go to capability and also some self positioning mounts.
There are numerous options nowadays at pretty low prices.

See optical vision Ltd site for the various options.
It is certainly a lot cheaper than the Zeiss binocular and the tube and optics are not much heavier than the Zeiss binocular.
You could put a spike mount once you climb the tree to mount the scope but the tree wouldn't be very happy about this.
I suppose you could use the largest type of gorilla pod which might be strong enough for the scope.

. The resolution of the Zeiss 20×60 binocular is about 6.5 arc seconds.
At 500 yards this equates to about 0.57 inches say 0.5 inches.

A high quality 150 mm Maksutov Astro telescope has a resolution of 0.75 arc seconds.
However, you need a magnification of 200 times to achieve this and you have to have perfect astronomical seeing conditions.
Terrestrially at 95 times the resolution will be about 1.8 arc seconds or at 500 yards about 0.16 inches.

To see whether the skin is flawless 0.5 inch resolution is not enough.
However, 0.16 inches resolution should be good enough and in my experience is good enough.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
And the gentleman concerned seems smitten and probably imagines that the Zeiss 20×60 binocular is enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back