• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starting Blocks...Aquatic Warblers, UK... (1 Viewer)

phil baber

Clipped Wing
Europe
I always get itchy when early August comes around.

On your marks. And good luck to the first to get a sighting, photo, or video on this thread! :t:

I'll be covering the Chew Valley Lake reed-beds and associated sites (found one at age 14, BBRC, 1976.) But any pond, lake, etc.with reeds is worth a look countrywide!

Heavy dew/rain, early morning, edge of reed-bed is top-tip. As they try to dry out...

Poland got similar weather to us because of jet stream.:-C

It might affect the results.:cat:

Hope it's a great Aquatic August anyway!B :)

ps Keep this thread going. It may spur us on to finding more...;)

I always get itchy when early August comes around.

On your marks. And good luck to the first to get a sighting, photo, or video on this thread! :t:

I'll be covering the Chew Valley Lake reed-beds and associated sites (found one at age 14, BBRC, 1976.) But any pond, lake, etc.with reeds is worth a look countrywide!

Heavy dew/rain, early morning, edge of reed-bed is top-tip. As they try to dry out...

Poland got similar weather to us because of jet stream.:-C

It might affect the results.:cat:

Hope it's a great Aquatic August anyway!B :)

ps Keep this thread going. It may spur us on to finding more...;)

Good thread Phil - would be great to group all things Aquatic together in one place this autumn. Perhaps someone could add a handy "how to identify" guide although I cant recall too many mistakes with Sedgies in recent times. Must admit it was one of those birds I thought I would never encounter but have now have been lucky enough to see three in the field over the last 7/8 years.

Would be interesing to see any stats for "found in the field" vs "found in the ringers' nets".

If you haven't got a reedbed then try an area of tall grassland - I saw my first at Thrapston in such a patch (in 1989 I think).

But above all look at every stripey Acro during this period - they can be anywhere.

John

We've had four up at Foreness over the last 25 years and all have been in the clifftop rank vegetation, been a while since the last though!

Interested to hear if any birders have heard Aquatic calling in the field in the UK?

We've had four up at Foreness over the last 25 years and all have been in the clifftop rank vegetation, been a while since the last though!

Interested to hear if any birders have heard Aquatic calling in the field in the UK?

You've reminded me that there was one at Reculver(ish) showing in hawthorns in between feeding in long grass/rushy ditch a few years ago. More evidence that there is more to Aquatics than reedbeds.

John

You've reminded me that there was one at Reculver(ish) showing in hawthorns in between feeding in long grass/rushy ditch a few years ago. More evidence that there is more to Aquatics than reedbeds.

John

Wasn't the one we saw waaaaaay back at Church Norton also in a hawthorn hedge?

James

Wasn't the one we saw waaaaaay back at Church Norton also in a hawthorn hedge?

James

When we could swivel on our heels and see a Great White Egret as well? Yes it was! Lemme think, have I seen an Aquatic Warbler in a reedbed... oh yes, St Agnes Big Pool and West Bexington. So its true, they do use reedbeds.

John

My only UK record was one singing in Cornwall back in 1991- very dull misty day on the Lizard, we had no idea what it was except that we didn't recognise it, so crept slowly forward until it was clearly in view - little cracker it was too! I think it was at Hayle Kymbro.

Last edited:
Thought this thread would provide focus for Aquatic Hunters.;)

Here's a short ID guide for the unfamiliar...

http://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=136083

BF Opus...

http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Aquatic_Warbler

Nice in-hand shots...

http://www.ibercajalav.net/img/355_AquaticWarblerApaludicola.pdf

And an interesting paper...

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/life/project/Projects/files/file/Julliardetal2006Ibis.pdf

Home of the Aquatic...

http://www.aquaticwarbler.net/news/

That should be enough to motivate the mind. Hope someone gets lucky as the "Sedge Tigers" begin to arrive...:cat:

Just a comment on the reedbeds expectations or lack of, it is worth noting that the key populations do not breed in reedbeds, but rank (wet) grass/sedgy type stuff.

When we could swivel on our heels and see a Great White Egret as well? Yes it was! Lemme think, have I seen an Aquatic Warbler in a reedbed... oh yes, St Agnes Big Pool and West Bexington. So its true, they do use reedbeds.

John

Last ones I saw were at West Bexington,in a reedbed but often down to less than 1ft away.

Steve.B :)

Being a rather quiet Sunday afternoon I have just trawled through the reports of Aquatic Warbler on the RBA website for the last 11 years (2001-2011). This indicates that around 35% of the reports were birds that were initially netted. Given that birds which are ringed should stand a better chance of acceptance than ones reported in the field, the actual percentage of accepted records is probably higher. However as Aquatic Warblers are no longer considered by the BBRC I am not sure where there is a source of accepted records.

Distribution of reports

Taking the data refered to above I have plotted the reported occurences in weekly blocks based on the first day of sighting; not long to go until the main peak of records (quoted dates are week commencing):

Attachments

• Aquatic Warbler.png
    Aquatic Warbler.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 82

Had one in (sub) song 11th August 1997 at West Bexington, plus another silent bird. My notes say 'slightly sweeter song than Sedge Warbler' whatever that meant!

I must admit I always get excited as we enter August as the first Aquatics can't be that far away, though I'm not sure why as I've only ever seen 6 (found one) in my 40+ year birding career.

Maybe i'll get a London one, or even a patch bird, this year!

Being a rather quiet Sunday afternoon I have just trawled through the reports of Aquatic Warbler on the RBA website for the last 11 years (2001-2011). This indicates that around 35% of the reports were birds that were initially netted. Given that birds which are ringed should stand a better chance of acceptance than ones reported in the field, the actual percentage of accepted records is probably higher. However as Aquatic Warblers are no longer considered by the BBRC I am not sure where there is a source of accepted records.

Of the 114 reports in this 11 year period, the top locations are:

Somerset (esp Steart) - 6
Weymouth area (esp Lodmoor & Radipole) - 12
West Cornwall (esp Marazion) - 13
Isles of Scilly - 9
Shetland - 6
South Wales (esp Kenfig & Uskmouth) - 12
South Devon (esp Slapton, South Milton & Thurlestone) - 12
Portsmouth area (esp Farlington & Titchfield) - 10
East Kent - 7

Last edited:
First of the autumn today at South Milton Ley; the easterlies over the weekend may well bring further records.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to whether or not Aquatic Warblers ever sing on autumn migration?
I encountered yesterday (in Western Switzerland) what I believe to have been an Aquatic in reed beds singing as it worked its way through the reed beds in a southerly direction. The song corresponded closely with recordings that we listened to once the bird had disappeared. But in August???

Mike

First of the autumn today at South Milton Ley; the easterlies over the weekend may well bring further records.

Yay! Great news! It's started!:t:
Was it trapped?? Is there a photo available to award a Gold Medal??
I think Silver should be awarded to a probable.
And Bronze to a possible.
... Perhaps with a medal table ending in October? :cat:

Personally, I have one gold, 2 silvers and about 7 bronzes in this country...:-O

And, Mike? Interesting...

I guess young birds, especially, will have to practise their song on Winter grounds? So why not on migration as well? Interesting. Hope you get response on this...B :)

Of course, at this point in the Aquatic Games? It'd be rude not to mention the other team...

The dreaded juvenile Sedge Warblers! :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back